Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: What is this critter?

  1. #1

    Default What is this critter?




    Spotted in unit 13 about a week ago. It was the size of a red fox, shaped like a red fox, but I've never seen (or seen pictures of) one with this coloration. The colors look more like a very light coyote, but the body doesn't seem right to me. I don't know my furbearers that well... can anyone say for sure, and if so, how could you tell? If it is a red fox, is there a name for this color phase?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-09-03-027-.jpg   2013-09-03-028-.jpg  
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

  2. #2
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    looks like a coyote to me.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  3. #3
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    That's a coyote... I'd say this year's pup

    Sent while hiding from the boss

  4. #4
    Member ak_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    coyote pup

  5. #5
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    That would be the coyote color phase...
    "Grin and Bear It"

  6. #6
    Member Gerberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Soldotna AK, Eugene, OR
    Posts
    612

    Default

    It is a Coyote, just like the ones on my stretcher, about $50.00 if it is real good hide.

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Definitely coyote.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Member OldSchool45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Just a younger coyote. But I was sure hoping someone would say it was chupacabra!

  9. #9

    Default

    When in doubt, take a blood sample...for DNA testing of course!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Song dog

  11. #11
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Yeti, pre-biped stage.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    195

    Default

    I agree with AKreg; take a blood sample.

  13. #13

    Default

    Its definately a coyote i shot one last year that was bigger than that but still looked exactly like a fox bit a different color

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •