Thread: Halibut Meeting with IPHC Executive Director in Seward Saturday 9/14

Default Halibut Meeting with IPHC Executive Director in Seward Saturday 9/14

This was posted in the Seward City News! Let's protect our resources and show up in numbers this weekend. Halibut Meeting with IPHC Executive Director in Seward

The Executive Director of the International Pacific Halibut Commission, Bruce Leaman, will be hosting an open forum meeting in Seward on Saturday, September 14th at the Seward Community Library at 12pm.
    The meeting is open to the public. Any person with questions or feedback regarding the halibut resource is strongly encouraged to attend. http://sewardcitynews.com/2013/09/ha...tor-in-seward/

He does this every year in Homer, Kodiak, Seward and other ports in 3A. I have attended the last two meetings. Not much comes from it but it is never a bad idea to hear what Dr. Leaman has to say.

Good job to both of you for showing up! Although as the Capt says, you usually don't see any direct impact, just being there helps keep the IPHC on it's toes and aware that AK fishers care, and takes away the opportunity for anyone to say no one showed up for the sessions so they don't care.

One question I would pose if I could be there is: what is with longlining as an approved subsistence technique to catch halibut for any AK citizen?