Unhappy Moose not in rut yet

Bulls not in rut yet in 20B as of 10 SEP
    Alaska

M
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    Bulls not in rut yet in 20B as of 10 SEP

This surprises you...?

Bummer man.....

This guy seemed pretty receptive in unit 13 on Sept 1st.

And this guy was definitely in rut up in unit 20 on Sept 7th.

Its gotta be getting close I would think for them now.

The 11th is the magic day!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Bummer man.....

you know gloating is a SIN.. Nice bull!

Nice bull!!! I did some calling up in 20B last weekend. Heard one grunt back and a couple I guess snorts/woof sounds throughout the morning but after sitting for several hours nothing came in. Anyone got some advice? Would love to bust a big guy like that, especially if I called it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Bummer man.....

Luke, was that moose taken where I think it was? We passed you guys on the 3rd going back to the truck to pick up something that was mistakenly picked up by one of the guys in moose camp. Didn't you go in for sheep with Becka?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    Nice bull!!! I did some calling up in 20B last weekend. Heard one grunt back and a couple I guess snorts/woof sounds throughout the morning but after sitting for several hours nothing came in. Anyone got some advice? Would love to bust a big guy like that, especially if I called it in.
    When a bull does not come in after a several minutes one of three things may have happen, it came in with out making any sounds, it left, or it's still there. If it still there you need to go to him with out making any non moose sounds.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

For sake of discussion...
    last year september 15th around the denali highway we had a couple of 35-40" bulls come charging in to calling/raking, and one really big bull that was essentially unresponsive. I got to within 15 yards of one of the tweener bulls, who would grunt and approach a cow like he was going to mount her - at which point she would lay down. I have asked a few very experienced moose hunters why the big bull would not respond, all of them said the rut is later. Younger bulls are "practicing" in the middle of september and "herd bulls" are going to rut at the very end of september or the beginning of october.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, exactly the opposite, I wish I could figure it out a little better. I plan to go out the end of the unit 14 season this year in hopes of them being a little more responsive.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Thanks MacGyver, I kinda felt like I should have gone after them. Wind was in my favor too. Will try again soon I guess.

Bulls don't decide when the rut is. Cows do.

That's why that cow laid down.

We men hunt moose based on their pre-rut behaviors
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

We usually have our best luck with the big boys the last 10 days of the season. Right now there are some small/tweeners responding a little, by the end of this week it should be getting good.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Bulls don't decide when the rut is. Cows do.

That's why that cow laid down.

We men hunt moose based on their pre-rut behaviors
    Isn't the rut dependent on how much daylight there is? I hear a lot of guys complain about hot autumn weather, but I thought the biologists theory is that it is based on light.

Also, from a behavior standpoint - if the big bull was really ready to rut, wouldn't he have run off the smaller bull?
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Isn't the rut dependent on how much daylight there is? I hear a lot of guys complain about hot autumn weather, but I thought the biologists theory is that it is based on light.

Also, from a behavior standpoint - if the big bull was really ready to rut, wouldn't he have run off the smaller bull?
    No, what Erik said is correct the cow is the one who decided when she is ready.

Bull moose are like men they are capable of breeding any time. I have seen big bull run off run other bulls around Sep 13 and he will would not be breeding for another 10 to 20 days.

The sun cycle has more to do with it than anything. Between the 13-16th is when i have noticed action occur and suddenly moose start responding. Where I hunt there is nowhere to glass and see moose hold up or respond from a long ways away such as a big bull might do if he has a group of cows, it's all thick woods calling. I garuntee the big bulls are well into finding cows and running around by now and for me making it difficult to coax them in with calls. It seems one day big bulls will come in and the next they have a bunch of cows and will be cautious to leave them making it very difficult to hunt in the area I call because of visibility. IMO Big bulls could be caught coming in earlier than most think before they have a harem around the 1-10 of September. Either way I reckon the rut started to happened or will happen within 1-2 days of when it did for the last 50 years

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    If you don't already, sit in that same spot you heard one grunt till 2-3pm then if nothing go back around 6 till dark don't leave to early they most likely will barge in last 20 minutes of shooting light. Or slowly walk towards the grunt after 20 minutes raking lightly really lightly doing short cow calls and try to approach this way.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    We usually have our best luck with the big boys the last 10 days of the season. Right now there are some small/tweeners responding a little, by the end of this week it should be getting good.
    Maybe I have it all wrong who knows. Had many big bulls hold back after around the 15th due to having cows and more knowledge probably. It is just totally different calling in the woods than in open country so maybe in about 50-100 years when I have it all figured out I will re post haha.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post

Scott,
    Yes, light is the driver. The biological term is photoperiod. Basically, the waning daylight striking the eye triggers the pituitary gland to activate the ovaries and increase estrogen production in the cows. As cows come within about 48 hours of ovulating they begin producing a pheromone that tells the bulls they're coming into estrous. Once ovulation occurs the cows' can sense it. How they know, specifically, is not known, but they know and this is when they engage in the moaning calls. They advertise vocally because they only have about 4 days to get pregnant. Moose have excellent hearing generally and it's theorized that bulls in hard-horn have better hearing because their antlers act as sound reflectors. Bulls can detect a ready cow even if they are upwind or crosswind of her scent. This is why traditional cow calls are so effective late in the season.

Based on my reading, it's my belief that older bulls with rut experience have memory. They remember what September brings and this is the reason why they will respond to cow calls well before cows are actually coming into season.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Moose have excellent hearing generally and it's theorized that bulls in hard-horn have better hearing because their antlers act as sound reflectors.
    It's like a dang satellite dish on their heads....!!! I know a lot of guys complain about the weather, and personally I think when it's colder, or a good frost hits, it helps to keep them moving a bit more, but is not a factor as to when the cows come into heat. Those bulls like to "hunt" when it's cooler out just like we do........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Predicting the moose rut is **** near impossible. 3 years ago I was hunting a new to me area with a friend, I called in several bulls over a period of 4 days but none were legal. Last year we went back to the same place at the same exact time as the year prior and I could not get a bull to respond to my calls. I'm going back there again this year at the same time as the 2 previous years and hoping the rut is in full swing.

Once the bigger bulls have cows it is **** near impossible to get them to leave their cows but if you can get close enough to them without being detected, using bull grunts usually does the trick. Cow calls in the early morning and late afternoon usually work well too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast