Thread: RB300 or KP Blackie Advice

Default RB300 or KP Blackie Advice

Hey all. So my wife and I just got back from our first successful (only) caribou hunt, so I can scratch that off my bucket list and I still have some vacation days left to use. I am wanting to get down to the KP and do some bear hunting but I'm not all that familiar with the area. I've hunted back on resurrection trail a couple years ago, but other than I haven't spent much time down there. I did pull an RB300 permit because I know there are plenty (maybe an understatement) of bears down there. I just need a direction to go because this permit covers a LARGE area, not asking for coordinates (unless you have them handy). From the sounds of posts in the archives there are more than a few KP residents wanting these populations thinned down. I would love a brown bear (like most), but would also take a blackie (or both) and scratch both of these off my bucket list as well. We're looking to leave tomorrow morning from the valley.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated, feel free to PM me or email me at atdymoke@gmail.com or you can call me at (907) 841-0082

Go to where you been before, nothing wrong with that area. Or just pick an area and go. Most bears apear to be hanging low or in the super thick berry patches up high, not the more open low bush areas or chasing ground squirrels up there. I believe this fall, we have yet to see one high still. But have seen a good number of bears.

Black bear hides should be awesome, brown bear hides looked to be a bit funky still! But should rug up fine, just the ones we saw had fuzzy looking thin type coat with a few long guard hairs. Once wet they looked really really ugly! Time will improve the hides though. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking that was the route I would be going, just because I know the area somewhat, saw some blackies in there a couple years ago and even came across some brown bear scat down on the main trail. I think we only went in a few miles from the Hope side of the trail so I'm not sure what's in further.