Thread: Valdez silver update needed. 09-10-13

Default Valdez silver update needed. 09-10-13

We'll be in Valdez tomorrow afternoon. How's the fishing at Allison Point? Are there many fish available? Are they still in decent shape for eating? Lures to use? Thanks.

I left there 9-1, so don't know, but I would bet the fishing would be great, lotta nice folks that don't have boats and can't afford charters out at Allison, also on the city docks, and some that do have the $$ go there anyway as it is a great time, great fishing. Now, about the CATCHING, well you are going to be there anyway so give it a try. Or, call the harbor office, easy freeze, totem, or prospector and ask, they hear a lot about what is going on.

Huh, I guess it is now the tomorrow you referred to, hope you had a good time!

AOJ showed some reports from this last week with coho still being caught from the shore.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks for the replies. Been fishing a couple of times and only caught
    a few dead ones. Having more fun watching bears along Dayville road.
    Saw eight today, including a sow with three cubs.

May be wrong but my understanding is after labor day (9-2) they let the commercial guys out to scoop up all the bulk of the fish in Valdez. I am sure some slip by and hang out near Allison but I would think the pickings would be pretty slim (as you maybe are finding out).

1-1-1-IMG_5640.JPG1-IMG_5615.JPGJaeger33, I like you assumed fishing would be poor after they started netting but I was wrong, I was there last week and the fishing was some of the best I've ever experienced even after they started netting. We fished at the end of Dayville road, there is a path at the end of the Day use parking that leads to a good place to fish. The commercial guys are not allowed to net in that area. The fish are less harassed there. We experimented with different color lures and found that #5 and # 6 vibrax orange with a silver blade worked best. We had to buy a few lures in Valdez not a cheap endeavor. I heard of one guy buying nail polish to color his lures, I was told the finish really held up! You can expect to pay nine dollars or more for a spinner down there. The fishing was good enough that I would be there now if time permitted. The picture is of my wife holding her 14.5 pound silver. The fish coming in were big and silver covered with sea lice. I saw only one red blushed fish caught.

It was really cool watching the Bears as well, we too saw a good number of them feeding on old spawned out Attachment 73813Attachment 73814 inks. It was dark and cloudy when I tried to photograph them so I had to use very high ISO settings, to bad the sun God did not cooperate. Attached is a few Bear photos as well.

Glad to hear you were able to get into some. I have never tried it after Labor day due to reports but hey maybe next time. It is always sad for me when we leave Valdez as it signifies the end of the fishing summer. By the way I am high school photography teacher so maybe one of the few that understood your ISO/Photography notes. Nice shots though (hard to see the grain with such small ones so plays well here )

Maybe since the fish are running a little late into the harbor area there will be some this week? Going to give it a try....I will post a report when I get back.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com