Thread: Neck sizing 30-06 with 308 Lee collet die

Default Neck sizing 30-06 with 308 Lee collet die

Would it be possible or feasible to neck size 30-06 or 300 WM with a 308 Lee Collet neck sizing die?

It seems like it should work as long as you get the depth correct so it sizes right to the bottom of the neck. I've been reloading for a buddy's 300 WM and wondered about neck sizing so as to save time and not have to FL size so his brass lasts longer... any thoughts?

Thanks

Never mind. Stupid question...300 win mag case has the larger diameter and won't fit in the die...duh

30-06 should work though I think...

The way the Lee die works you will have a challenge there. The Lee works by squeezing the brass onto the mandrel - the squeeze is triggered by the shell holder contacting the unit to push the collet against a wedge to close the collet fingers to size the brass neck. So an 06 in a 308 die isn't going to work there - just as a 308 in an 06 wouldn't work correctly.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I don't think that would work.

A regular Neck Only sizing die should work I use them a lot. However, I'm dubious they would work on a WSM, because that cartridge may require FL resizing.

I have ONLY ONE Lee Collet die. It worked fine for Cast Bullets, because the diameter is larger, but didn't hold jacketed bullets tight. I sent it back to Lee to make the mandrel .001 smaller diameter, as explained in the documentation.

If the WSM Fired cases chamber EASILY, I would go with a NO die before a Lee Collet die, but sizing only the neck is a good idea if it works, because it's so much easier. You would need only a bit of lube on the necks with the NO die, and None with the Lee Collet die.

Those are just MY thoughts based on my own experience, along with what I've heard about the WSMs. If you try something like this, would appreciate hearing how it worked.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks guys. I've used the 308 lee collet die a lot and I liked it so much I picked up one for my 338. No lube, perfect shoulder fits to my chamber, its great to decap and size a whole box of ammo in a couple of minutes and be ready to reload them.

Kelsonak, your post makes sense. I hadn't thought about how far into the die the case goes and what triggers the collet squeeze. Just musing while away from the bench on how to save some time on different calibers.

thanks again.