Thread: Weather in Kotz

Default Weather in Kotz

Guys:

Just a heads up for the lucky hunters headed for Kotz this week. Your weather is going to be warm and you need to think about meat care. The 5 day forecast is calling for day time temps in the mid 50's and night time lows in the 40's. Keeping meat may become very difficult and you need to think about this before you pull that trigger!

Link:recast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=AKZ209

I have been moving my hunters to dates later in the month for the past 4-5 years because it is just warmer-later up there. A few ways to deal with this; If your on a 10 day hunt don't pull that trigger until later in the hunt say... day 7,8,9. Sat phone and an early pick up, not a bad way to go. Citric Acid spray, always a good idea on warm hunts.

The really big thing is get that meat cool as fast as possible! Be sure that you are hanging the meat so it has air all the way around each game bag, this way the meat will skim over and reduce bacteria. I do lots of float hunts because my float hunters take bigger and more bou/moose than my drop camp hunters. The really important thing with the float hunts is keeping the meat DRY!! Wet meat is an invitation for rot.

Lots of animals to be hunted in unit 23! Truly the most productive Caribou and Moose hunting in the state. Plan ahead! Do you have a plan in place for how you will deal with the meat once you get back to Kotz? Meat boxes? Shipping? Rack boxes? These are issues that you must have in place before the hunt starts! Shooting bou in unit 23 is the easy part! Dealing with the meat and racks is the difficult part!

Have a great hunt and let me know if you need anything.

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Float Hunts and Drop Camps
    Unit 23-Kotzebue
    Booking 2014 hunts now!
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good idea for a thread, Walt.

If your not familiar with NorthWest Alaska, be warned to not forget that Kotz,in the lower 40s and 30's soon, often Fogs in.

YOU may be in the clear open skys of the Brooks Range, but Kotz lays 12 feet above the cool Ocean of Kotzebue Sound, and if they have fog breeze in, and cannot see toland, they cannot return, then the Pilot will not launch to go spend the day, night, even days with you, waiting to be able to get back into Kotzebue.

If your plane dosent show up, be prepared for a day or two, simply because of Fog at Kotz. It happens.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Just returned from a week hunting out of Kotz. We hunted caribou on the North bank of the Noatak about 95 miles north form Kotz (130 air miles). The weather was in the low 50's and the nights in the high 30s. We only had a hard frost one night.

The caribou were plentiful and the migration seems to be just starting. Once ther meat was cooled off, it fared really well.

Overall, the hunting was fantastic and the weather was comfortable

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Good idea for a thread, Walt.

If your not familiar with NorthWest Alaska, be warned to not forget that Kotz,in the lower 40s and 30's soon, often Fogs in.

YOU may be in the clear open skys of the Brooks Range, but Kotz lays 12 feet above the cool Ocean of Kotzebue Sound, and if they have fog breeze in, and cannot see toland, they cannot return, then the Pilot will not launch to go spend the day, night, even days with you, waiting to be able to get back into Kotzebue.

If your plane dosent show up, be prepared for a day or two, simply because of Fog at Kotz. It happens.
    Been there, done that multiple times. Stuck on the ramp for three days trying to get out to the bush, and stuck in the field for days trying to get back. Sitting on the ramp sucks!