Thread: Hunting partner for 2014

Default Hunting partner for 2014

I am interested in a float hunt fall of 2014. Just starting to look at areas and would welcome input. Not looking for a whitewater adventure, have done too many of those. I mostly archery hunt and need a rifle to back me up. Have a tent and some gear. You should have some experience in wilderness camping and hunting.

I live in Homer and ocassionally go to Anchorage. Over the next few months we could get together and share experiences and expectations to see if things work. I like the idea of moving the meat down hill to the raft instead of hiking across miles of Tundra. Have done that, too. Right now a friend has recommended the Dillingham area and Bay airlines for the bush plane ride.

Paul

I may be interested. I am from the "outside" (Pennsylvania) to be exact, and I too like to bow hunt. I did a solo diy 6 miles back in the mountains of Montana where I shot and elk and in 2 days and 48 miles later, had that elk out (bow). Toughest thing I have ever done. I was in AK 2 years ago for salmon fishing and attempted to black bear hunt (only opportunity came on a sow with cubs, so couldn't shoot). Did have some encounters with browns, but nothing serious, just came by. I am a pretty hard and serious hunter, I like the experience, but also want to be successful and will work hard at doing so. Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunts_with_stick View Post
    I may be interested. I am from the "outside" (Pennsylvania) to be exact, and I too like to bow hunt. I did a solo diy 6 miles back in the mountains of Montana where I shot and elk and in 2 days and 48 miles later, had that elk out (bow). Toughest thing I have ever done. I was in AK 2 years ago for salmon fishing and attempted to black bear hunt (only opportunity came on a sow with cubs, so couldn't shoot). Did have some encounters with browns, but nothing serious, just came by. I am a pretty hard and serious hunter, I like the experience, but also want to be successful and will work hard at doing so. Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Thanks
    Some of the areas are for residents only, However I am just starting to check with friends here to see what looks good. I used to horseback and hike elk hunting in New Mexico with some Indian friends. It was nice ot have horses available for the heavy stuff. Horses aren't available for most of the places I want to hunt, so the float trips seem like the way to go. I lived in Nome for several years and a 4-wheeler was handy there. Rentable from a friends business and makes for a good hunt if the tundra isn't too wet.

Its a year away, but that time will go fast.

Bear hunting you will need a registered guide.

Yup, I just meant to let you know I am not afraid of the bears, not to hunt brown bear. I would only be able to hunt black bear, in terms of bears. But I would be up for caribou or moose or black bear.

Email OldFoxWoods@yahoo.com for some photos and information we can start looking at.

Sent an email.

I would be interested. I live in Kenai. I will e-mail you if it's ok.