Thread: EZ Loader Boat trailers CHECK YOUR LIGHTS

Default EZ Loader Boat trailers CHECK YOUR LIGHTS

I Have a 4700# Ez Loader boat trailer. It is less than a year old. When I checked my tail lights, both sides did not work. The side marker lights worked but no tail lights. I wired 2 new lights in and still they did not work. I traced the wires and found the plug on both sides was totaly rotted out. The plugs were not sealed or even taped. I contacted EZ LOADER and they are going to send me a new set of L.E.Ds. When I asked why the plugs were not sealed, I was told that It would require too much labor and the prices would be much higher on the trailers. WHAT? It took me less than 30 min to saulder the wires, put shrink tubing and apply liquid tape on both sides. The idea of not making all underwater plug connections water tight is nothing more than POOR WORKMANSHIP. If you have an EZ Loader boat trailer YOU HAD BETTER CHECK YOUR TAIL LIGHT PLUGS.

I just budget for new lights every year for my trailer. I thought I would upgrade last year and put on LEDs. They didn't last the summer. I went back to the $10 Wal-mart lights.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default New lights not in 10 years

Made my lights removable from the trailer with clamps and SOOW cord, they never go under water

Yep the lights were bad (full of water) after only one season but that happens on boat trailers and there is not much that you can do about it other carry extra lights and be ready to wire new ones in when they go bad, but the plugs on the wireing was the thing that really screwed me up. I had 3 wires going into the plug and 2 coming out and a pigtail going to the side marker lights, so I had to figure out which wires went where and saulder them together then seal them. I was not really happy with EZ Loader because of the fact that the connections that get dunked in salt water were not sealed. I think that its pretty sad when the wiring will not even last 1 year. Had to cancel a fishing trip because of this.

And they charged you top dollar for the trailer!??

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

I spent about $6,000 on a new, galvanized EZ Loader trailer last year. If I buy a galvanized trailer, you have to know that I'm concerned about rust and probably dunk it in salt water. So, EZ Loader, do the wiring correctly, make it $6,100, and save me the headaches of having to deal with trailer wiring. Sheesh.

I always re-wire my trailers with PVC pipe as conduit and seal the wires that poke through the end caps with RTV sealant. I also coat the connectors in the light fixtures with RTV. Then I coat the bulb sockets with marine grease. Never had a problem after itís done.

Dave

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
    I always re-wire my trailers with PVC pipe as conduit and seal the wires that poke through the end caps with RTV sealant. I also coat the connectors in the light fixtures with RTV. Then I coat the bulb sockets with marine grease. Never had a problem after itís done.

Dave

Good Idea! I may have to do some work on my trailer later!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Same issue here, sort of. First season last year on my new boat and trailer and one tail light slowly lost LED's. I called EZ loader and they sent me a whole new assembly at no cost 2nd day air. ( warranty ) No questions asked and was done like stated on the phone. I am very happy with my trailer and service from EZ loader. They could have easly said that they dont warranty lights. The plug was good but the assembly was a fish bowl. I had it in salt twice but mostly fresh water duncking. My light plug was in a rubber coated whole in the trailer rail. Not water tight by any means but better than out in the open. Just my $0.02

I must say that EZ Loader sent me a set of new LEDs after I called them and gave them the vin # of my trailer. I just think that a little more quality control would save the customer a major headache. I am not very skilled when it comes to wiring but its seems common sense to me that an electrical connection that is going to get dunked in salt water should be sealed. As far as the excuse that sealing the connections would take too much time is B.S. once I figured out where the wires went it took me less than 30 min. to soulder and seal all of the connections. I would think that in a production setting it could be done in about 15 min. EZ loader has been building boat trailers for many years and they must know better. This just shows me that they are more concerned about profits instead of quality. I doubt if I will ever buy another EZ Loader trailer.