Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Draw a Tag and Not Hunt It?

Exclamation Why Draw a Tag and Not Hunt It?

Because life happens sometimes, that's why. Don't judge. Every stranger you see is fighting a personal battle that you know nothing about.

excellent point. I can hardly wait to see some responses to a post from earlier. I am sure it will draw criticism, but they know nothing about me. Unfortunately it is our nature to judge first and then find out the details. God bless!

Well there are some out there that will put in for hunting tags just so they can hold the tag and save some animal it happens all the time so I have been told. I do not put in for a hunt if I know I will not be able to hunt it, and I have a good friend that drew a moose tag but had to have a wrist surgery and will not be able to hunt. He turned in his tag, and I thought that was the right thing to do. If someone puts in for a tag knowing that they will not hunt that tag is wrong in my book and if caught doing so should be band for future draws. Yes things change in our everyday lives and I am not judging that person that can't hunt his tag do to some life altering change BUT if they are doing it for other reasons like a PETA move then that is different.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Lots of people put in for a pile of tags hoping to draw 1 or . If they get really luck they may not have the means to hunt them all. I could not afford 4 fly outs in one season, besides the time off work.

I heard of a group of people that apply for the Teir 1 and they do not even hunt. They instead report a kill in order to "save a life". Others apply for everything they can and then simply get overwhelmed. One other person I know drew LOTS of tags for him and his family and is not familiar with the areas, does not posess the needed equipment and will not take time off to hunt. I guess he boils the tags with some veggies and chicken stock on those cold winter evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Well there are some out there that will put in for hunting tags just so they can hold the tag and save some animal it happens all the time so I have been told. I do not put in for a hunt if I know I will not be able to hunt it, and I have a good friend that drew a moose tag but had to have a wrist surgery and will not be able to hunt. He turned in his tag, and I thought that was the right thing to do. If someone puts in for a tag knowing that they will not hunt that tag is wrong in my book and if caught doing so should be band for future draws. Yes things change in our everyday lives and I am not judging that person that can't hunt his tag do to some life altering change BUT if they are doing it for other reasons like a PETA move then that is different.
    If everyone always hunted every draw tag they would simply issue fewer of them to reduce the harvest. People who draw tags and don't hunt them do not reduce your opportunity as long as the board of game and biologists issue enough tags that the maximum sustainable harvest is allowed to be taken, which is their goal.

If thousands of anti-hunters were putting in for draw hunts they'd be funding Fish and Game for us and would not reduce our opportunity as long as enough tags went to enough hunters that the game was effectively managed.

It befuddles me every time I see someone complaining about draw tags going un-hunted because it isn't rational.

Now people drawing tags then falsely reporting successful harvest is a different story. That is high level fraud and anyone caught doing it should be prosecuted accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    I heard of a group of people that apply for the Teir 1 and they do not even hunt. They instead report a kill in order to "save a life". Others apply for everything they can and then simply get overwhelmed. One other person I know drew LOTS of tags for him and his family and is not familiar with the areas, does not posess the needed equipment and will not take time off to hunt. I guess he boils the tags with some veggies and chicken stock on those cold winter evenings.
    In reality, he probably goes to the store and buys hundreds of gallons of soup with the money he would have spent hunting the tag...not that it makes it right, just saying that alot of these draw tags are "priviledge" hunts, and not really economically justified for the meat. Some of these tags are indeed cheap hunts, but some of them cost real money to hunt. Not everyone realizes that when they send in the $5 app.

Quote Originally Posted by granby45 View Post
    Lots of people put in for a pile of tags hoping to draw 1 or . If they get really luck they may not have the means to hunt them all. I could not afford 4 fly outs in one season, besides the time off work.
    That does happen. A guy wants one fly out hunt so he applies for many of them hoping to get one, any one. Getting 4 he chooses the one he can afford and the rest sit.

Not to defend the action you're describing, but the system put in place by F&G does support and encourage exactly this sort of wagering. A couple of simple rule changes would removed the incentive to wager like that.

That said, I agree with the part that F&G does account for the non-hunted tags, but that doesn't stop the drew-zip hunter from feeling gypped.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I think there's a huge difference between applying for a tag you fully intend to hunt when you put in for it and having life happen later, versus applying for hunts you have no intention on hunting even if you are drawn. I think - I hope - the thread is only about the former. I would imagine we could start a whole line of threads on the latter if there were evidence backing up the theory that people do that. I would imagine PETA has some funds set aside for tags out there somewhere though.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Don't know why anyone would even care unless it was bad luck the tag holder couldn't go.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think people don't realize that ADF&G factors in the permits that don't get hunted (like someone else said). No harm, no foul.

Tim

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Don't know why anyone would even care unless it was bad luck the tag holder couldn't go.
    I agree Amigo...and even then, who cares? Would those who fuss about this stuff feel better if the tag holder took a 10 minute, half-assed walk in the woods? Technically then they could say they "hunted" the tag. Maybe just a 15 minute ride down a dirt road with a rifle in the back seat would make them feel better.

Not every draw tag that gets hunted gets filled....so again, who cares?

We have to blame someone for the reason we can't kill an animal... an OTC permit is impossible to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I think people don't realize that ADF&G factors in the permits that don't get hunted (like someone else said). No harm, no foul.

Tim
    I agree, no harm. As a bonus- people who draw tags they don't hunt makes F&G issue more tags to get their harvest goal...thus improving your odds of actually drawing a tag.

If every tag was drawn by a die hard and determined killer- there'd be a lot less of them.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I agree, no harm. As a bonus- people who draw tags they don't hunt makes F&G issue more tags to get their harvest goal...thus improving your odds of actually drawing a tag.

If every tag was drawn by a die hard and determined killer- there'd be a lot less of them.
    You make an interesting point here.

The folks who are less likely to hunt draw tags actually increase the odds of success for the folks who do hunt them.

Maybe I should infiltrate PETA and try to convince them to save a Delta Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    Maybe I should infiltrate PETA and try to convince them to save a Delta Bison.
    I think that is an excellent plan!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    I would imagine PETA has some funds set aside for tags out there somewhere though.
    Why would we frown upon this? It would be the first time in the history of that organization that a dollar they spent actually helped the conservation of animals:0
    ADF&G can use their greenbacks for conservation and research as well as anyone else's. As has been said, it all gets factored into the number of tags issued, but I agree it's frustrating to think of that tag not being used.

as has been said,, some people who draw a tag, just don't fill that tag. My girl friend hunted when I could take her (she doesn't think she could handle field dressing a moose by herself), and all of the legal animals we saw-- I made her pass do to the ethics of recovering the game.. One moose was right about 30 yards from the truck- just a small 25 yard slough between her and notching a tag!!
    Another from our group had to take a second job to cover expenses- she only got to hunt one day. No moose volunteered to ride home with her that day.

Things (S___) happens. whether poor planning, or life changing events--

So I have to wonder... what brought about this thread?????

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    In reality, he probably goes to the store and buys hundreds of gallons of soup with the money he would have spent hunting the tag...not that it makes it right, just saying that alot of these draw tags are "priviledge" hunts, and not really economically justified for the meat. Some of these tags are indeed cheap hunts, but some of them cost real money to hunt. Not everyone realizes that when they send in the $5 app.
    On the contrary, everyone of them is on the road system. Unit 13 caribou, unit 14 moose, unit 20 moose. In all he has access to 5 moose tags, a mix of cow and any bull, and 7 unit 13 caribou tags, DC480 and DC483. I understand the "shotgun" approach to applying for tags, but on the otherhand shouldn't you be ready to actually hunt a tag if you were to win it. Sure I get that the less tags get filled, the more may be issued in the future, but today is today and meat next year doesn't fill the freezer today.

Just because someone does not get a tag does not mean they can't still hunt the same critter somewhere else in the state. To my thinking if you give up just because no tag was drawn you put in about the same effort as the person that don't hunt the tag.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast