Thread: moose on chena hot springs road

Smile moose on chena hot springs road

has anyone had any luck this year so far? i was out there this weekend myself and saw a bunch of cows with there calf splashing around in the ponds but had no luck with any bulls was thinking about trying again next weekend. Anyone had luck in that area?

No luck up there either. Took a boat upriver from one of the boat ramps off CHSR. Can't remember which one it was but it was a lousy put in. Hunted Saturday evening and Sunday. Saw some cows but no bulls either. A lot of bear sign along the gravel bars eating dead salmon.

I drove up the road the other day on a whim and saw a nice bull upside down with a couple guys climbing on top of it - Their timing was a little better than mine. Other than that a few cows and nothing else.

DeeDee had a Cow tag the early season... we saw a lot of bulls. All the "legal" cows we saw, I made her pass as to much work to recover..

you know 30 yards from the truck- 25 yards of running slough.

60 yards from truck- 60 yards of pond...

Went opening day of bull season with step son- seen 9 cows.
    second day- one legal bull- "real young" but on edge of no shooting area. i told him to close to make a judgement call on. waited and another huinter stopped and tried a sneak- That bull took off running like someone poured kerosene on neither regoin!!!

Chris

One big cow and small bull at stop light in North Pole last night
    Alaska

Heard someone getting lucky around mile 27 a few days ago (three shots followed about a minute later by a single shot). I've heard some shooting much further upstream, as well.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

We were up quite a ways too. and only heard one shot at dawn on Sunday that appeared to be a hunter, the rest of the gunfire you probably heard was from that shooting range/ trail head around mp 40.

The shooting range is at mile 36. No, this was up above mile 50 and the shots were coming from the north.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Just spoke to a good friend that lives right off CHR and he hasn't done much yet either. Said it was still a lil warm though. Surprised thogh they are usually in his yard when I'm there he said its all my fault LOL what else is new

Oh ok, when you said you were around mp 27 then further upstream it sounded like you were near range. I was up river too.

Look for groups of people gathered in one spot. Those are tourists taking pics of a moose. Go check if legal moose!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

This is a bit off topic but My friend lost his dog out there on the 1st due to some yahoos shooting of large fireworks. She had been at camp for no more than an hour before she took off so she never got to know the area. We were at the North Fork cabin at mile 47.7 and she never came back by the time we left on the 6th. the owner is heading back up this weeknd to hike chena dome and angel rocks again, he lives in Anchorage. She is a black stocky dog with no tail, looks like a rot mixed with a lab and is very friendly but might be a bit shy. she comes to Nix or Roo and has a chip in her. All the athorities have were contacted early and signs hung and local establishments. if you see here please contact dave at 907-350-2229.

The dog was at mile 22 three days ago in the morning.

I thought it was from one of the houses close by.

Pup seemed to be looking at every truck that came by.

Hope that helps,
    Chris

Keep checking with the Fbks animal shelter.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yeah this weekend was a wash. hunting buddy got tied up at work Friday and Saturday AM so kicked around the bush off the Parks then we ran up Chena river last night. Did some calling and had some response just as it got too dark to shoot. Next morning there was nothing, didn't even hear a peep.