Thread: No sea lice in shrimp bait or pots

Default No sea lice in shrimp bait or pots

Ran 5 pots in eastern PWS maybe 20 days in August. Weird, not a single louse came in with the pots, and zero in the bait containers, what's up with that? Not that I minded, those that think the lice chumming the bait attracts more shrimp aside, I hate the stinking little buggers!

Shrimping was good for August where we do it. Eggs weren't as scarce as last year, maybe 10% had eggs. I think they are just running late. Water temps are now about 10 degrees warmer that maybe 6-8 years ago, 61-62 degrees. NOPE, I wasn't one of the people setting pots in Valdez Narrows right across the traffic lane.

Noticed the same thing in the western sound. Sounds like your shrimping was better than mine though. I did have herring in chum bags in addition to my pellets in my bait jars. The herring were picked right down to the bone and I wonder if our little lice friends played a role in that....

Hey Ron, We have had grea luck with a but of lice in our bait jars. I think it helps disperse the scent. We stopped shriming a month again cause we were catching way too many preggers in the pots. We have enough to last us until next year so we figured we'd give them a break.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

After shrimping all summer I have decided that having the lice in the bait jar is good. I have one pot that always catches more shrimp and it is the one with lice in the bait jar. The jar has bigger holes drilled in it and let's them get in there and get busy.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Good theory but I would ask - Could it be that the bigger holes simply let more bait into the water attracting the shrimp and it has nothing to do with the lice? I use mesh bags that will not let in any lice but have a good flow and did quite well on the shrimp this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    After shrimping all summer I have decided that having the lice in the bait jar is good. I have one pot that always catches more shrimp and it is the one with lice in the bait jar. The jar has bigger holes drilled in it and let's them get in there and get busy.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.

My thought is that the fleas come with the current, if you don't have them right away just wait for a tide/current change they will find ya !! I've tried all kinds of bait bags, jars, jugs, pouches and one thing was if the mesh/holes on them was very fine/small they didn't fish very well, the bait lasted forever but there was just about nothing in the pots, just my opinion.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

NOPE on a lot of that: I was using the same bait containers as always, a mix of gatorade bottles with 1/8" holes drilled in them and the manufactured bait containers with the slots in the lid; usually, both types are laden with lice/fleas/maggots. Sometimes, STEVE, we had to leave our pots out 2 or 3 days due to weather or trips to town (we stay out in PWS a week at a time) No lice under any condition of tide or current.

With the very small percentage of eggers, we had no reservations about continuing to shrimp. We do not get the numbers those fishing on the west side do, but we average maybe 15 per pot per pull, and they were very large this year. Size may be due to always letting pots soak at least 24 hours, and the small ones get bored and go back to their cell phones or whatever young shrimp do And, quite a few of much larger than usual coonstripes to boot!

We have been riddled with the maggots most years, and I think it is coincidental that the shrimping is good when the lice are there, but that is a WAG just like the shrimping being better when the fleas stir the pots. At any rate, it sure was nice not having them fall all over the boat or wriggle like a maggot infestation when we changed bait.

Another fact: a "non-Steve-Potbuilders" pot caught almost no shrimp, and I changed it around in position on it's string, whereas the other 4 pots, half rigid "Potbuilders" and half folding "Potbuilders" were equal and effective. That old non-performing pot will be retired next year, I have two folding pots from Steve in reserve.

Finally,August 2012 I could only get shrimp at 550-600 feet in August, this year they seemed equally abundant from 350-600 feet, but not shallower. So, the "flea famine" held no matter the depth. I still believe it is due to changing ocean conditions as I fished through all tides, currents, weather and no matter how I held my mouth or which hat I wore