Thread: Surge Brakes

Default Surge Brakes

So I adjusted my surge braks as the previous owner hadn't used them.
    Filled and flushed and bled the system, adjusted the calipers as per. I was wondering if its normal to have some drag on the wheels when properly adjusted? I can spin them easily, but they only do about 1 or 2 revs.
    Normal or should there be less drag?
    Thanks gents.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Is it disc brakes or is it drum type? If it is disc you want to make sure that the guides and pins are free so that the caliper can retract.What causes the piston to retract on disc brakes is there is a square O ring on the piston if there is more resistance on the piston to return to a neutral position then you will have drag.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

In general, you don't want drag. Drag will result in premature/excessive brake and tire wear.

That is normal if you can spin them freely by hand for 1 or 2 revs. Abnormal is when you cannot spin them by hand, or it is difficult. When the hydraulic pressure is relieved in a normaly functioning system the let-off of the pads is only a couple thousandths of an inch and any warpage (typical maximum spec 4 thou. tolerance) in the rotor will knock them back to that deviation, still only talking 4-6 thous of an inch. Then there is the resistance/friction of the wheel bearings and grease you feel and observe when spinning by hand.

They are drums. When I spin them, you can hear the drag, but the wheel spins freely and quietly when the callipers are adjusted out.
    I adjusted them as per; tightened the callipers until the wheel would not turn by hand, then backed off 5 clicks.
    Thanks for the help.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Ah, drum brakes not disk. There are no calipers in drum brakes, there are shoes, wheel cylinders and adjuster screws. What you turned is the adjuster screw, it is opposite the wheel cylinder and is responsible for moving/holding the shoes near the drum for even wear and optimal braking. Considerable drag is OK after adjusting the shoes outward, drums are notoriously out of round, so as the drum turns and makes contact on the narrowest part of the drum it will drag against the shoe. As this happens the shoes will be re-arced until the wear in. The best way to maintain long brake life and optimal braking is to adjust them frequently to ensure maximum contact between the shoes and drums, this also helps to minimize warping the drums.

If it has been some time since the brakes were inspected it would be good idea to pull them apart and ck. them. At that time clean the area on the backing plate where the shoes ride and lube with the proper lube. Make sure the return springs are working. Drum brake are different in that they use springs to pull the shoes off of the drum. This is also a good time to check and repack the wheel bearings. If you just got the trailer that way you would have a known starting point for the condition of the wheel bearings and brakes.Much better to spend a couple hours in the drive way than trying to do repairs beside the road 40 miles from the nearest parts store. Good Luck