Thread: New to alaska waterfowl. Please help!

Default New to alaska waterfowl. Please help!

Hi everyone I am military and new to waterfowling here in AK. I grew up duck hunting in Vermont but it seems like a totally new game here. I have a few questions to ask so please bear with me...
    1) what areas are atv friendly in or near the hay flats? Alaskas reg book is like trying to decipher Red Sea scrolls!
    2) any canoe friendly hunting spots near anchorage? Not trying to get honey holes but just places other than the flats or spots other than the main arm of the knik.
    3) for the flats where's coffee point... I've seen it mentioned in other post but can't find it on a map
    4) what's the size of a normal deke spread here? I use to hunt over 3 doz mallard decoys back home but that seems to be over kill here
    5) can you hunt sea ducks around here with out having to pay $4k for a week long trip?
    6) anybody want to take a couple of military guys out on a boat to "show them the ropes"?

Sorry to ask a million questions and thanks for putting up with the "FNG"!

~James

Quote Originally Posted by jpc8636 View Post
    Hi everyone I am military and new to waterfowling here in AK. I grew up duck hunting in Vermont but it seems like a totally new game here. I have a few questions to ask so please bear with me...
    1) what areas are atv friendly in or near the hay flats? Alaskas reg book is like trying to decipher Red Sea scrolls!
    2) any canoe friendly hunting spots near anchorage? Not trying to get honey holes but just places other than the flats or spots other than the main arm of the knik.
    3) for the flats where's coffee point... I've seen it mentioned in other post but can't find it on a map
    4) what's the size of a normal deke spread here? I use to hunt over 3 doz mallard decoys back home but that seems to be over kill here
    5) can you hunt sea ducks around here with out having to pay $4k for a week long trip?
    6) anybody want to take a couple of military guys out on a boat to "show them the ropes"?

Sorry to ask a million questions and thanks for putting up with the "FNG"!

~James
    1) cottonwood creek access, off fairview loop rd in wasilla
    2)end of maud road, butte area, palmer (jim creek chain of lakes)
    3) the point at the end of hayflats
    4) varies from person to person, i usually take couple doz
    5) can get sea ducks around homer area, and some other places
    6) don't have time now, but keep in touch if interested

most of what you asked about and a lot more is easily found on this forum.

Bud
    Wasilla

Also, as far as the seaducks go, you can always put your vehcile on the ferry & go hunt Kodiak. It will allow you to camp & hunt out of your truck/suv for a week, just make sure you have a layout boat, or kayak, etc with you to help retrieves.