Thread: Knik River Float

Default Knik River Float

Hello everyone. I was thinking about floating Knik River from the Old Glenn Highway bridge just South of Butte, down to the (New) Glenn Highway bridge to look for some moose. I thought it might be a nice change of pace away from all the crowds and ATVs and an opportunity to look for some moose. Anybody ever tried it before? I was just looking for some advice on channel selection and any hazards I should avoid etc. I know it is pretty braided. On the map it looks like the far left braid is safer and then it splits about mid-river and the main channel veers off to the right, stays off to the right for a few miles and then veers back to the left just before the bridge. Is this the best route to take, or would I be safe to stay all the way to the right until the very end when the right channel joins back with the main channel just before the bridge. Thanks to anyone with advice.

I have walked all through that area for moose in the past years....there are even a few tree stands back there for moose. try the last few days of season moose seem to get pushed to this area and has a fair amount of cows cruising around in there so gotta be a bull around somewhere

There one less bull in there as of this morning.

It's not mine.

It won't be quiet at all. Airboats run every little channel around the confluence of knik and matanuska. I spent several days out there a couple years ago and every morning and evening there was multiple airboats circling the islands looking for moose.

Other than that the float shouldn't be hard. I haven't been out there this year to know about any new hazards but it is not a particularly challenging stretch of river.

Did the float on Saturday. Got there really early and the fog was thicker than molasses. We could hardly see the bank for the first three hours of the float. Got about 1 or 2 miles from the bridge and got out and did some walking around. Lots of moose sign, but I have a sneaky suspicion they are mostly moving around at night. All the hunters going up and down the river with the jet boats and fan boats got em pretty spooked up I think. On a side note, my wife ended up shooting a cow moose on Sunday morning about 6:30 AM. She got a cow tag this fall. Dropped her in about a foot of water. It was a good learning lesson for her. We had a fun time cutting her up.