Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grayling in Sand lake

Default Grayling in Sand lake

I saw that adfg stocked about 1500 grayling in there this year, just wondered if anyone has seen or caught one. Are they catchable once the lakes ice up? I've heard they are hard to catch through the ice, but they can't just not bite all winter... Just curious if anyone has any ideas or opinions.

I have ben told you can catch them in the winter , I wish you luck but don;t hold you breath on getting a meal of grayling any time soon , when the ICE is on the pond , my 2 CTS SID I have never got one when the ice gets on the pond

I caught a few a couple weeks ago in the west end bay on the right. They were schooled up and hitting small spinners. They were around 10". But they are there! On a side note I hooked a trout and ripped its eye out on accident, then jus threw the spinner out with the eye on it and started trolling out of that bay. Less than 30 secs in the water and I hooked and landed and released a 22" rainbow.

Release Lake Trout

I have caught a few grayling while ice fishing Sand lake. They were very small but I did manage a few.

I've caught them through the ice on eggs, but definitely not as common as trout or even char. Wow - never thought of using a trout eyeball as bait, but I'll have to give it a whirl next time I have the right opportunity. WHo knew??
    My signature is awesome.

It was quite a surprise to us too!!!

Release Lake Trout

Proof that someone at ADFG needs to be fired.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtofak View Post
    Proof that someone at ADFG needs to be fired.
    Because someone caught a fish? Seems kinda harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Because someone caught a fish? Seems kinda harsh.
    Grayling..... Sand Lake...... do you not see a problem?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    I caught a few a couple weeks ago in the west end bay on the right. They were schooled up and hitting small spinners. They were around 10". But they are there! On a side note I hooked a trout and ripped its eye out on accident, then jus threw the spinner out with the eye on it and started trolling out of that bay. Less than 30 secs in the water and I hooked and landed and released a 22" rainbow.
    So people are using sport fish to catch sport fish?
    Bill Hicks

He used an inedible portion...which is completely legal.

Grayling..... Sand Lake...... do you not see a problem?
    No, enlighten me.

Haha wow! Really? Next time ill be sure and save that eye for ya. Having fun trolling? Must be bored tonite

Release Lake Trout

No, enlighten me.
    You are way more educated than me.

I realize this.

Why would an entitly of the the state of Alaska dump 1500 Graying in Sand Lake?

Justify this?

No pike, no trout, no char, not even land locked salmon..... but we can shoot 1500 grayling into a system that hasn't been abused by people that shouldn't be here.

Drop them in Lake Louise. I'm sure people will care more after the raping a couple years ago.
    Bill Hicks

You are way more educated than me.

I realize this.

Why would an entitly of the the state of Alaska dump 1500 Graying in Sand Lake?

Justify this?

No pike, no trout, no char, not even land locked salmon..... but we can shoot 1500 grayling into a system that hasn't been abused by people that shouldn't be here.

Drop them in Lake Louise. I'm sure people will care more after the raping a couple years ago.
    Ah, I get it now. To hell with every thing else since Lake Louise is the center of the universe.

Ah, I get it now. To hell with every thing else since Lake Louise is the center of the universe.
    I lived by Delong Lake. People don't know what a limit is. The people that live on Lake Louise understand that their forage forge fish have been taken due to low life people that do not know the system because it has hasn't been studied for years, that get taxed with absolutely no clue as to property value and you get the same stupid answer when you call the borough.

Govt thugs without a clue.

Don't be one.
    Bill Hicks

I lived by Delong Lake. People don't know what a limit is. The people that live on Lake Louise understand that their forage forge fish have been taken due to low life people that do not know the system because it has hasn't been studied for years, that get taxed with absolutely no clue as to property value and you get the same stupid answer when you call the borough.

Govt thugs without a clue.

Don't be one.
    Your lower lip is sticking out a bit there Mike. You have quite the sense of entitlement there...however you know good and well that the folks at LL don't own the fish there...the people of Alaska do. Not sure what paying your property taxes have to do with Grayling, but whatever, feel free to complain.

... I'm still confused. I don't see what grayling in Sand Lake has to do with Lake Louise or why it is any sort of problem, over which someone should be fired no less. Am I alone? Just not seeing an obvious tie? I'm just curious about what the issue is here. Do you simply take issue with using state resources for put-and-take stocking programs in Anchorage?
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    ... I'm still confused. I don't see what grayling in Sand Lake has to do with Lake Louise or why it is any sort of problem, over which someone should be fired no less. Am I alone? Just not seeing an obvious tie? I'm just curious about what the issue is here. Do you simply take issue with using state resources for put-and-take stocking programs in Anchorage?
    In reality, there isnt a tie whatsoever...but there are some that feel the sun rises and sets over Lake Louise, and apparently ADFG should be stocking "their" lake, and "their" lake only. You should see how excited they get when you give out fishing information on their precious lake.

Seriously, dirt of AK, are you butt hurt or what?? They have stocked plenty of other species into sand lake this year and years before because folks use the resource. Do some abuse it? Sure, but that's not just in anchorage, it happens everywhere, and just because a few bad apples catch more than their limit is no reason to stop stocking altogether. Thanks to everyone for the input, maybe I will go try to catch some grayling before ol dirty here convinces adfg to suck them back outta the lake and dump them into lake louise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast