Thread: Best winter hiking boot???

Default Best winter hiking boot???

I am looking for some opinions on the best winter hiking boot. I have some very warm boots but they are so big and heavy I want something new for this years haul road hunt. I'm looking for a very warm and comfortable boot to walk a lot of miles. I'm looking at the muck boot arctic pros. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. I'm just looking for some first hand experience on what boot you like the best for winter conditions. Keep in mind -20 is fairly normal hunting conditions when I head north. Thanks.

I'd watch out for the Muck boot. I like em, don't get me wrong but for long treks and extended time in em you'll run into a LOT of moisture build up. If your feet are prone to sweating at all, those rubber boots will hold lots of moisture in.

I prefer to go with Muk-Luks. IMO with a good liner, you can't beat these boots. If it starts to creep above 0 to +10 you'll have to watch out bc these are meant to be worn in extreme cold. The canvas like material allows your feet to breathe while retaining lots of dead air space to keep your feet warm. You can pick up a -60 Sorel liner at Prospectors that works well.

One other con you can run into with these boots is over flow. I've dunked my feet into some before at about -30F but as soon as I did, I trumped through some snow to keep the water from soaking through. It took me about 3 hours to get back to my truck and there was really no problems at all. Feet got a little chilly but not terrible.

These are my winter favorites. Supportive and comfortable for hiking in deep snow and plenty warm.

http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KE-3428-K

I second what Jeff suggested. He hooked me up with a set of these quite a few years back and they have been excellent. Great for flatlands and for the mountains. I've done goat and sheep hunts with them with no issues.

Awesome. I'm looking into them now. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Especially if anyone has the muck arctic pros I'd like to hear anything specific about them. Thanks for the input! Keep it coming!!!

I use Logging boots, they are a pack type with caulks.

Schnees packs are hard to beat.

http://www.schnees.com/category/Made...tana-Pac-Boots

Not made in China or Thiland
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Schnees packs are hard to beat.

http://www.schnees.com/category/Made...tana-Pac-Boots

Not made in China or Thiland
    Its nice to support US made and surprisingly to me, comparable in price. Win, win