Thread: Boat registration

Default Boat registration

How long does the process take to register a boat and at what time does this happen. Can this be done at the initial point of sale and or by the boat manufacturer? Im aware that all sport fishing boats must carry a decal number on the side for this purpose. And if anyone knows , what is the cost ?................................................. .....

Micky,
    It's inexpensive, ($30-$50 or so) and takes as long as the line is at DMV. The trailer is also registered. I think both are 2 year registrations if I remember correctly. From then on it can be done on-line and the decals and all arrive in the mail. It is done once you get the boat. Pretty easy stuff.

When are you going to purchase and get over here?
    BK

The other option for a boat is getting it documented and this may be required if you finance the boat, some banks require it some don't. The documentation process is thru the USGC and it takes forever. Once you get the paperwork back you have to put the doc number on your boat along with the name of your boat and then you don't need to have the numbers on the side of your boat or the stickers. I went ahead and got the AK numbers on my boat while I waited for the documentation to get processed.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We documented our new boat, Vista Blue, an Alaska27, at the end of June and got our paperwork back from the Coast Guard at the end of August. Not too bad and we didn't have to pay for the state registration during the interim, just carried our temporary documentation paperwork.

Which is NOT to imply that documenting a boat is cheaper than registering thru the state! Documenting ran about $950.

not sure but you might have to be a US citizen to document a boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692