Thread: Pilot and North Carolina Passenger Remain Overdue near Lake Clark

Default Pilot and North Carolina Passenger Remain Overdue near Lake Clark

Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

NO Survival Gear...............WOW

That makes my head hurt. Hopefully it is just inaccurate reporting. But if they are covering the area and nobody is picking up any ELT signal, that is not good. Any conscious person that overdue should have triggered the beacon. Not good at all.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

The plane was found tonight upside down in a creek bed. No people on board, just a note saying they were walking toward Nondalton. Definitely a good sign!

Any idea how far out of Nondalton the wreckage was?
    14 Days to Alaska

Not sure of distance...but it has now narrowed the search area significantly. Hopefully the will find the pilot and passenger in no time. RCC is planning on flying tonight with FLIR and Troopers will resume at first light.

Especially with the area defined by the wreckage and the destination, FLIR should pop them out pretty quick as long as they're still warm. Here's hoping.
    14 Days to Alaska

Definitely a good reminder to always have survival gear and some sort of communications with you ALWAYS whether you are in a plane, boat, atv, etc. You never know when you may need it!

Both the pilot and passenger have been located and are said to be in fair condition. The crash site was approximately 11 miles north on Nondalton and the men were located approximately 8 miles from the crash. They were headed in the direction of Nondalton. Good news for these men and their families!

Thanks for that info, good to hear, glad all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsalmonmoosekiller View Post
    Both the pilot and passenger have been located and are said to be in fair condition. The crash site was approximately 11 miles north on Nondalton and the men were located approximately 8 miles from the crash. They were headed in the direction of Nondalton. Good news for these men and their families!

That is great news!
    14 Days to Alaska

Great news. Crazy that they did not have any survival gear though. I will be curious to read the circumstances behind the crash.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I'm also very curious about the accident. I find it hard to believe they had no survival gear, so I am wondering whether that will turn out to have been a statement that people didn't see the gear, rather than it not having been there. But we'll see. Like I always tell my family, dress to walk home. The best survival gear is what you are wearing.
    14 Days to Alaska

yeah, news papers and the ADN in general have the habit of mixing up or inventing facts.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

All around a bunch of bad choices no gear/ left crash site.....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Glad to hear the are ok. One thing to remember it was a J3 so once you put in fuel (depending on tank size) and two big guys not much left for the fishing gear and stuff. So choice is to fly a bit heavy or carry extra gear. I have a 160 cub and even in my pacer I would fly with tools and survival gear. They might have had more gear with them than the story tells. Gun, knife, lighter, and gortex will go a long way this time of year. 11 miles in the bush is a long way for that age figure 1/2 mile per hour following river but you could do it in 2 days. But it is Alaska and the old *******s do all sorts of stuff up here (its the water). I think staying with plane upside down on the river (don't get much better for being found) is the way to go. But independent types will say got myself into this mess I will get myself out. Go ask for there shoes when they get back and see how things look when you put them on. Dress for fire and to walk out is what I do and tell everyone that is in the back even for the Knick tour. Bottom line is they will have some good tales to tell and A&P will feed his family with rebuild. Good to hear of a crash with a positive outcome.
    DENNY