Thread: Volvo gear oil

Angry Volvo gear oil

I've been sticking with the manual recommended gear oil for my volvo outdrive but the cost per quart is rediculous. What is everyone else using and is there really that much difference in quality?

Price a new outdrive some time. Using the right stuff is a small price to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by leveen View Post
    I've been sticking with the manual recommended gear oil for my volvo outdrive but the cost per quart is rediculous. What is everyone else using and is there really that much difference in quality?

delo400 30 wt. recommended from volvo dealer in Homer been using it for 15 years no problem but this is the older 280 outdrive.

I am not saying this is the case concerning your outdrive in particular BUT, often there are other options from different manufacturers, read the specs then find another that meets or exceeds those specs set by Volvo. A manufacturer cannot demand you use only their product but, using a product that does not meet requirements for warranty or reliability is whole 'nother mess.

Where you may be stuck is if there are no alternatives, in rare cases only the manufacturer brand is the only one to meet spec, therefor, you are stuck until/unless the aftermarket puts something out there.

It should be easy enough to punch in the specs online and find another, or no, alternatives.

I used to buy 5gal pails of outdrive oil at the outfit that sells fuel,oil & filters down in the anchorage harbor. Like i said in another post my drive had 11,000 hours on it when i sold the boat and their oil was all i ever used in it. By the way i only changed the oil in the drive once a year.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

With my old Volvo 290 drives I used Valvoline syn gear oil, now with my new DPH-C I use the volvo transmission oil in 75-140, I been changing oil every 100hrs, and its been coming out like new so I'm going to look at it and change if need be at 120hrs, then 150hrs. I have a light boat 14,000lbs with a single 370hp volvo.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com