Thread: some questionable things.

Default some questionable things.

In the last 15 years of fishing I have seen some weird things that I was not sure if they were leagal and I was wondering if any one knew.

1. I saw a fish with a spin and glow in its mouth neather hook was in the fish instead the line had wraped around its head and gills.

2. (I suspect this one illeagal) I saw a hook come loose from a fishes mouth and snag into the same fishes tail. I wouldn't have beilieved if I hadn't seen it my self.

3. (suspect this ones illeagal too) your hook tangles with another line in a fishes mouth.

There all probably illeagal but the first one especially is questionable.

Depends on if the water is open to snagging or not. I'm assuming rivers, which typically aren't open to snagging, in which case the first two would be illegal.

On the third one, was the line broken off, and then a hook tangled into the broken off line? That would be questionable one, I think so long as the waters were open to two hooks, and the final hook was in the fishes mouth, you'd be ok.

On the 3rd one I had a buddy actually bring one all the way in like that. Not a single hook of his in its mouth. To be on the safe side we considered it a snag and turned it loose.

Default heres one 4 U

heres one for you,
    when I was a kid 9 years old fishing kings on the kenai with my dad we were back trolling with spinglo n eggs. My rod burried, fish on, I fought it got it in the net, and my hook was hooked through the top eye of a barrel swivel where the line had broken off from the previous guy who hooked it, no remaining line it actually hooked through the hole of the swivel the bottom eye was tied to another leader and spinglo and hooked in the fishes mouth. Was that a snag on my part?
    I kept the fish. One in a million that my hook would find its way into the swivel as tiny as the ring is.

I caught a red on the Newhalen with my hook point in the eye of another hook/fly that was in the fishes mouth. Retrieved my gear and the hook, and released the fish. I kept that other hook/fly in my hat for many years. I doubt I'll ever repeat that one.

situation 1 and 3 are legal as far as I know, it wasn't like you snagged the fish, snagging simply means to hook a fish outside of the fishes mouth so if its not hooked at all its not snagged.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    heres one for you,
    when I was a kid 9 years old fishing kings on the kenai with my dad we were back trolling with spinglo n eggs. My rod burried, fish on, I fought it got it in the net, and my hook was hooked through the top eye of a barrel swivel where the line had broken off from the previous guy who hooked it, no remaining line it actually hooked through the hole of the swivel the bottom eye was tied to another leader and spinglo and hooked in the fishes mouth. Was that a snag on my part?
    I kept the fish. One in a million that my hook would find its way into the swivel as tiny as the ring is.

The exact same scenario happened to me when fishing ship creek for silvers. For dam sure I kept it.

i saw a kid on the kenai last year catch a rod and reel that was presumably ripped out of an unlucky fisherman's hands after he hooked a nice red the kid kept everything, including the legally hooked fish is that using two hooks?

So I think this falls under scenario 1 accept being in saltwater I considered it a legal fish. 2 years ago I had a silver doing it's usual roll that silvers do and it wraps the line around it's tail. when the fish straightened it's body out it pulled the hook from it's mouth. When I landed the fish I was surpised to find that instead of having a fish in the mouth, I had roped it around the tail and my spinner was hanging freely a foot below the fish. I kept the fish but l was in saltwater and it was legal.

Default on the kenai

I caught the eye of a treble hook buried in a very large sockeye tail while fishing on the kenai. Another fisherman helped me land it and said it was the funniest hook he had ever seen. I released the fish after removing both hooks.

I had a weird one. My fly passed through the fishes mouth and out a gill plate, where it then lodged in the top of the fish's head. I kept the fish because the line cut the gills.

It's interesting to hear these stories.
    I always questioned the first one the most because the lure was in the fishes mouth but the hooks were not set.

So every one pretty much agrees that the second one is illeagal.

The third one I have actually seen several times and all the fish were kept, but I would be a little nervous.

Default Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Hmmm.... So, if (according to F&G) a fish belongs to the person who hooked it, and a guy reels it in by hooking someone else's legally hooked gear that broke off, who's bag limit does it count against?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Good point but there is also a posession limit so you can't double up.

Good observations .... all!

I put ADF&G on the side of circumstances. By the book, they could probably write a ticket for all of the above. But, the individual agent will likely look the other way if there are other factors that are in play in scenario one and three.

Two is absolutley snagging.

that is a snag. a fish has to "hooked" in the MOUTH with the hook you are fishing with. ANYTHING ELSE IS A SNAG.

Last year at ship I landed a king that had been previously hooked by some gear tied with spyderwire. That was the first time in my life I actually liked that stuff. I didn't hook any of the broken off gear, just had the sypderwire wrap around my vibrax tight enough to knot up. It was pretty sweet, roughly 25 lbs (Biggest one I've caught down there!). The broken off gear was in the mouth so I assumed it legal and kept it.

Another interesting story - Sunday we went out of Seward with a buddy. He was jigging and hooked an 85 lb halibut and about half way to the surface his line went slack and then tight again. He knew he popped the hook from the mouth but managed to hook it again elsewhere. His hook landed in one of the fins. It ended up being a 3 person affair to harpoon it and hold him steady while he hung over the back trying to wrestle it into the boat without going overboard. Once landed, we could even see where the hook had popped out of his lip. Fun trip.

Last August my wife and I made our first trip to Alaska. We were fishing for silvers at the Kenai ferry and the guy next to us put a decent one on a stringer. I did not notice if he killed it first or not. A few minutes later his buddy came up and when he went to show him his silver it was gone stringer and all. About a half an hour later he snagged something and it was his stringer with the silver still on it.