Thread: Boat insurance

Default Boat insurance

What is the average premium for personnel usage fishing boat and who is the broker who sells it.

The insurance on our Kingfisher 2825 is about $1100 a year thru State Farm.. I have all my stuff (3x cars, home, personal property etc) with them so I may get a discount on it...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

It's dependent on the value of the boat and a bunch of other personal factors - a lot of folks carry a full coverage policy for the six or seven months of boating season and then reduced coverage for the winter while things are white and icy. There are lots of agents and brokers - some local, some based down in Seattle, and some big nationwide companies. We have a brand new, very nice diesel powered 27' aluminum boat and we pay around $8-900/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    The insurance on our Kingfisher 2825 is about $1100 a year thru State Farm.. I have all my stuff (3x cars, home, personal property etc) with them so I may get a discount on it...
    One thing to consider if you choose State Farm or whoever you have the house, vehicles, and other toys insured with there is a good chance that if you frequent the Gulf, you might not be covered. I used to have ours insured with SF, but have since gone with a marine insurance broker. We have better coverage all the way around and it is a bit cheaper than our policy with SF. I think ours is $1200+/- for the year.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

There are several threads on boat insurance in the forum if you search. Insurance for boats here in AK seams to be up and down with some of the agents out there. I have All state and they have the best price on the boat stuff but as with all good deals there is some negatives as well. I pay something like 550.00 to just under 600.00 for my boat and I have a full package with houses and truck. Every time there is a big disaster some where my premium goes up again on the house. When I am done with boating for the year I call and have it put on vacation mode and that will cover it in the drive way only and will save a few dollars at the end of the year. You can always drop your deductible a bit which will drop your over all cost of the policy but keep in mind if you lose or break something you will have a higher deductible at the end of it.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thanks everyone . they sound very reasonable rates.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    One thing to consider if you choose State Farm or whoever you have the house, vehicles, and other toys insured with there is a good chance that if you frequent the Gulf, you might not be covered. I used to have ours insured with SF, but have since gone with a marine insurance broker. We have better coverage all the way around and it is a bit cheaper than our policy with SF. I think ours is $1200+/- for the year.
    It took me a month to get State Farm to finally show me a map of where my coverage was effective... it basically is a line from Kayak Island in the east to an Island just South of Kodiak.... That is plenty of water for me, the only time I might test those boundaries is if I give in to my wife and run the boat to Kodiak and try and go all the way around the island, I would have to be sure to slip inside the line at the South end but I looked and its not a problem.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Typically you can pay an additional very small fee to purchase an additional rider on the policy to cover a voyage outside of the area covered by your policy.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    It took me a month to get State Farm to finally show me a map of where my coverage was effective... it basically is a line from Kayak Island in the east to an Island just South of Kodiak.... That is plenty of water for me, the only time I might test those boundaries is if I give in to my wife and run the boat to Kodiak and try and go all the way around the island, I would have to be sure to slip inside the line at the South end but I looked and its not a problem.
    I'm sorry to hear that it took that long to get that map. I'm the State Farm agent in Homer. We have the map you are talking about posted in my office. Of course, I probably get the coverage area question more than other agents given all the boats down here... In my experience, the cost of insurance varies greatly. The boats: age, length, and horse power, are the major factors that affect the rate.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarth View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that it took that long to get that map. I'm the State Farm agent in Homer. We have the map you are talking about posted in my office. Of course, I probably get the coverage area question more than other agents given all the boats down here... In my experience, the cost of insurance varies greatly. The boats: age, length, and horse power, are the major factors that affect the rate.
    Would you mind taking a photo of that map and posting it on here... or email it to me. The one I actually got was a scanned fax and I just used Google earth to make my own. My only real question is about the point South of Kodiak... the description of that point was less then clear to me, at least when I tried to find it on the map.

I pay about $220/year/full-coverage/$500-deductible for a 17' North River through Geico's "Seaworthy" subsidiary.

I have a 22 foot Boulton and pay around $30.00 a month. State Farm is great!