Thread: Aluminum canoe on really shallow water moose hunt?

Default Aluminum canoe on really shallow water moose hunt?

I am fairly sure I know the answer... nope... but wondering what others have learned. I think it galls ups, and gets destroyed?

I know two guys that had to walk out of a shallow water trip after an aluminum canoe bit the dust.

Then I recall a guy here using aluminum with a surface drive.. my last minute hunting partner has an aluminum canoe.. looking for pvc/plastic/...

either that or I'll buy a pack raft, to carry the extra downriver weight(hopefully)

PVC canoes slide over rocks, Al. ones not so much.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    PVC canoes slide over rocks, Al. ones not so much.
    BK

yea, that's what I've always thought.. pretty sure it's the case.. doesn't work.

What about an application of Glove-It? I put it on my driftboat and it is supposed to help slide off rocks and such.
    Might be something to look into as far as making the aluminum canoe work for you.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

If you drag any material when you should not it will tear up. Always better to take out some weight and float. Have a canoe use it,just want to buy a raft buy one.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Will

Yea, I guess we are going with one canoe and one PR-49.. and my hunt opens today.. what a slacker..

this fishing season wore me out.. 26 days in a row of opening made for a great season, and a tiring one..

The hunt I do is just shallow..so I get out and drag it LOTS. the only real solution would be unload the boat and pack the meat.. but with 40 miles to travel, you end up just wearing out the bottom dragging it.. which I have no problem with.. if the boat lasts three hunts I am happy. It has some ugly scars from last year...

Tyvek tape is a good repair kit I hear?? I carry duct tape and bituthane... sounds like Tyvek tape is amazing.

did Beav get a ride to Williamsport over the hill?.. he must be getting tired. I fished for Charlie Williams in Bristol bay back in 82.. heard some great stories about building that road... lots of bears..

the biggest draw back I have found from hunting from a alum canoe is the noise that can be generated by moving around and or dropping things in the bottom of the boat can echo across water for miles. aswell as a paddle making contact with the top or outside if the canoe. I have put pipe insulation over the gunwall of the canoe and it helped a lot with the paddle noise.

Use a SOAR Canoe and you will float much higher in skinny water!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Float Hunts and Drop Camps
    Unit 23-Kotz
    907-259-4290

I do a lot of hunting from Grumman aluminum canoes in shallow water. They do make a bit more noise, but hold up a lot better to hitting rocks than plastic canoes do, especially when loaded. We've literally jumped the aluminum canoes off of rocks and are still using the same ones after 35+ years of annual trips. They are a bit lighter now than they started for sure, but still holding up. They are the ones with the thicker skin though and I do recall hearing that those with thinner skin were much more prone to failure.

If you want the best - *buy the best - Give a SOTAR -URETHANE "MOOSE BOAT" a try They do not break and fits in a cub. Have a couple of new ones for demo for the right- serious- people- no wankers!!! in *the 60- to 90 # range for the "right experienced local Alaskans". 15' 20" tubes self bailers asymetric design. Strongest fabric out there which is as why is the US military standard. All welded- no glue.
    If you are really serious about a USA made watercraft that will last a lifetime. get in touch with me. Over 30 years using and buying, building boats and frames, ect. In all types of water and conditions.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I do a lot of hunting from Grumman aluminum canoes in shallow water. They do make a bit more noise, but hold up a lot better to hitting rocks than plastic canoes do, especially when loaded. We've literally jumped the aluminum canoes off of rocks and are still using the same ones after 35+ years of annual trips. They are a bit lighter now than they started for sure, but still holding up. They are the ones with the thicker skin though and I do recall hearing that those with thinner skin were much more prone to failure.

thanks for this feedback. I know a couple guys that floated a shallow river with an aluminum canoe and had to abandon it as the bottom gave out.. but it may well have been a crap canoe.
    My buddy went with plastic..mad river. I use a Wenona(amazing craft.. floats great, and tracks like a bullet).. but is getting thin..

very interesting you've had success with aluminum...

I am looking at putting a coat of urethane on the wenona.. or something... I bashed a lot of rocks this year.. leaving green tracers every where..

I own and have used for years an Aluminum Grumman Freighter with a lift, plus kicker and can tell ya, i worship this boat...It can carry a heck of a load, and easily pulled up thin creeks over beaver dams, logs, around rappids etc. It can and will get ya into some amazing hunting and fishing spots with a bit of work. Yet i have now added a Soar Pro that i sometime carry along, when it can be used for a float out with Meat...Two boats loaded light often prevent dragging one overloaded boat..
    If ya can find one of these boats you will never regret owning one..just make sure it is the 19 ft Freighter..one dang tough canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by lak View Post
    I own and have used for years an Aluminum Grumman Freighter with a lift, plus kicker and can tell ya, i worship this boat...It can carry a heck of a load, and easily pulled up thin creeks over beaver dams, logs, around rappids etc. It can and will get ya into some amazing hunting and fishing spots with a bit of work. Yet i have now added a Soar Pro that i sometime carry along, when it can be used for a float out with Meat...Two boats loaded light often prevent dragging one overloaded boat..
    If ya can find one of these boats you will never regret owning one..just make sure it is the 19 ft Freighter..one dang tough canoe.
    I would second that, but also add to look for the years with the thicker skin (.05" vs .04" if memory serves). They were originally made with the thicker skin, but to save weight, they started making them with a thinner skin for a while until negative feedback convinced them to go back to the thicker ones. A little heavier, but exponentially tougher and definitely worth it.

I qustion I have is what is shallow/ an how much water do we have ? are we pulling the canoe over rocks all the time or just a little .
    the 19 grummen will take a lot of beating a lot more than the HB canoes that are not alum, the HB canoes are great for large water [ lakes / rivers ]
    they don't hold up well on the smaller waters with lots of rocks ? MY 2 cts SID

For not getting holes in the bottom the plain old cheap Coleman RamX slugs may be the best.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

if ..............................

this was my third year on my We no na spirit 2. I am really impressed with this canoe.. tracks great, loads well.. but the bottom is getting thin. better water levels made this an easy year on it.. but I leave green every where I go. I carry tyvek tape and duct tape.. that might get me out should I get a hole.. but you would not be able to touch bottom anymore.. I also carry epoxy..