Thread: Evening Walks

Default Evening Walks

I have been walking in the evenings as usual with R
    Rigby and with the season open, I take my little 20 SxS with me. We usually get about 2-3 hours before it gets dark. With all the rain everything has been very wet but we go anyway. This evening Rigby locks up for a brief second and then flushes a Spruce. I think his lack of maturity went into over drive. He went in like a high school freshman into a pool full of 8th grade cheerleaders!

After we had some one on one time to focus, we walked for about another hour when he sets up on point again. This time he's steady to flush. I moved in and 2 birds launched, and we got one. We called it an evening and headed for the truck.

Very nice looking dog. Sounds like a lot of fun. Been a long while since I had a dog but look forward to experiencing what you described in the next few yrs when I have the time to devote to training. Thanks for sharing.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Very nice looking dog. Sounds like a lot of fun. Been a long while since I had a dog but look forward to experiencing what you described in the next few yrs when I have the time to devote to training. Thanks for sharing.
    Good luck on the time, I had to wait to retire from the Army. It sure is neat when it starts to come together with a pup and you become hunting partners. Best of luck to you.

Yeah, only a couple yrs from retirement myself. Grew up with 2 diff golden retrievers that were excellent duck dogs and not bad on grouse and pheasants. Helped train both and enjoyed immensely 25 yrs with the 2 of them. Many memories and excellent times. In the meantime I have had to rely on my retriever named "Daiwa". It (he) comes equipped with a treble hook and requires an accurate aim when cast at my downed ducks. He's worthless for sniffing out cripples however.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Rigby making sure all the birds are there after our latest evening walk.

What are you doing and how are you finding all of these birds. We live i the same town, and I've even went out to one of your spots 3 days after you, but I've got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    What are you doing and how are you finding all of these birds. We live i the same town, and I've even went out to one of your spots 3 days after you, but I've got nothing.
    I have a good huntin partner!

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    I have a good huntin partner!
    Well I certainly wouldn't argue with that!

Which spot did you go to?

I took my dog out to Ptarmigan peak area yesterday. 10 miles wore him completely out. Me too. No birds though.

I took my dog out to Ptarmigan peak area yesterday. 10 miles wore him completely out. Me too. No birds though.
    Well, I think you might have some bad intel on me! I have never hunted Ptarmigan Peak. When all else fails hunt the edges of power lines. I'm currently traveling for work and had some time this evening to take a walk. I'm in an area I have never hunted before. I didn't have a lot of time to search and the military base has some challenges here hunting wise that interfered with the amount of time I had. I checked the map and looked for some power lines and headed for the nearest ones. I got a shot at one bird and flushed another with no shot in about 2 hours of walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    Well, I think you might have some bad intel on me! I have never hunted Ptarmigan Peak.
    I think you're right. =) I went back and re-read your original post from "Another Ptarmigan Climb" and realized that I misinterpreted the combination of the title and the statement "climbed the mountain again" to mean you had gone up to Ptarmigan Peak.

It was a still good hike. Probably shouldn't have taken the dog so far, though.

I think you're right. =) I went back and re-read your original post from "Another Ptarmigan Climb" and realized that I misinterpreted the combination of the title and the statement "climbed the mountain again" to mean you had gone up to Ptarmigan Peak.

It was a still good hike. Probably shouldn't have taken the dog so far, though.
    Any hike in the mountains is a good day for sure. Have you ever tried the Hope area for birds? I haven't been there yet but it's on my list.

Hunted Murphy Dome this evening as part of my road trip, and got schooled. 5 birds flushed, 2 of which Rigby bumped, 1 in the bag. He was crazy this evening, I think his lack of maturity kicks into overdrive sometimes. I had to work to get him to settle down after he bumped the second bird. Usually after about 15 or 30 minutes he settles down but not tonight. One bird took off over my head as I was ducking under some brush, scared the crap out of me! Nice area, I wish I had about a week to spend up here to explore! Great fun!

I've never hunted Hope. I'm starting to see hunting (hunting in general terms, not just bird hunting) as a complete crap shoot looking for the needle in the haystack. Alaska has over a half million square miles of terrain. To a new comer (or at least to me-you seem to be doing pretty well as a newcomer), it feels like, if you weren't born here, forget it. And, for what it's worth, I understand why it has to be that way.

I've never hunted Hope. I'm starting to see hunting (hunting in general terms, not just bird hunting) as a complete crap shoot looking for the needle in the haystack. Alaska has over a half million square miles of terrain. To a new comer (or at least to me-you seem to be doing pretty well as a newcomer), it feels like, if you weren't born here, forget it. And, for what it's worth, I understand why it has to be that way.
    A crap shoot? Why would it make a difference where you were born? Hunting is a lot of things. Understanding your quarry, the terrain, and having the ability to focus on your observations and learn from them. Being able to use time to hunt. Can a person focus on hunting or fishing or whatever, without time pushing on you to "get results". If time plus birds equals success, just shoot them on the road or in the tree. What if you didn't hunt? What if you went out and took the time to observe how spruce trees and other trees grow together or apart from each other on a hill? The texture and color of plants and tree bark and soil and moss and just happened to be carrying a shotgun? That's when you'll see grouse and you know what will happen then? The grouse will fly and you'll miss because you didn't practice shooting enough. It will all be a waste of time, unless of course, all the rest has value as well. To include the time it takes to be able to shoot well, which is a whole nuther thread!

You still in the interior?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Cantwell, spending the night here. I went through Salcha 2 days ago. Next time I'll drop you a line. In about 3 weeks.