Thread: Kinik run

Default Kinik run

Any one willing to show me the way up this river Saturday

That river is so rediculous this time of year its really braided on the sides and shallow and wide in the middle

Are you saying there is no channel? Me and the boys went up a ways a couple weeks ago turned around after pushing the boat off the third time, I guess that's the way a guy has to learn that river just go for it and push when you pick the wrong line.

Just follow the lead with the most water. Shouldn't be that difficult. River is still pretty high I think. Bud
    Wasilla

Well it kicked my butt! Thought I was following the main channel, but when I would start up one then I would find another bar, I guess I nneed lots more time trying to read the water. There must be a deep channel all the way no? I think I just was second guessing myself to much or I am just that bad at reading a river, not sure but would be lots of fun to follow a few up it, wish I could have made it tithe few runs guys ddid earlier in the year. I just need a bigger motor that'll fix it yea just go bigger!! Just kidding but if anyone wants to take a newbie on and teach a few tricks I'm all for it

Sorry Mooney, i hope i didn't sound like too much of a smart *****. I really havn't seen that is is all that low, but maybe it is further up. I believe you just need to run up and keep looking till you find the deep one. How much water does your boat need. Havn't been above Jim Creek since July. However, water is optional for my boat. Bud
    Wasilla

Seems to run good down to about 5" or so, but kept finding 1"
    or so as I would skid across, yep didn't hit many small one but a few big ones, boys didn't think it to funny to push the boat 200yrds, man that thing will slide!!

If you can get up past where people fish just sty to the left and the water is alright its just imposible to be good at reading that river theres so much silt you gotta do it in the spring and just learn the way then hit it hard in the fall and remember the way

You can judge a rivers depth and whats below by reading the surface, does not have to be clear to see how deep it is.
    Fish Ak. had a great article in the last year regarding this issue.
    BK

Water is super high..... The only way to learn how to read the river is by running it. Get stuck good a couple times you'll learn....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Mooney, if getting stuck that often is a real problem, you need to pick up a Lewis winch. 150 of cable on them willl reach a long ways. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    Any one willing to show me the way up this river Saturday
    So how far did you get? A good number of posters have been all the way to the glacier. As for winches a Simpson Capstan is a very good choice for a small portable winch http://www.capstanropewinch.com/
    endless rope and not restricted to a barrel winch with a limited amout of line. 2000lb cap with a pully its 4k capable
    hondawinch.jpg

Memorizing a silty river like the knik is not the best way to run a river, channels change, conditions change, maybe you miss a turn. Learn to read the water, a few hard stucks are guaranteed, but you will learn a lot. The silty bottom won't be damaging to your boat just your ego. The knik is easier at lower levels, late fall at early spring it is mainly one channel.
    If the water is moving you can read it, even if it looks like your morning mocha.
    Mooney, look ahead, not for the widest channel but look for the flow, learn to place your boat were you need to be, not sliding wildly through the corners.
    It just takes time on the water, and some good stucks
    Silty rivers are not impossible to read and once you get it figured out you can transfer your knowledge from one river to the next, anywhere in the state or beyond. Some days I can't remember what I had for breakfast how could I remember how to run the 20 rivers I ran this summer.
    Kyle how do you run a new river if you haven't been there ?

Thanks guys, I will be going up it a lot more this fall, don't think I need a winch the boat isn't to bad to push. I think my biggest problem was I would read the channel or at lest I thought I did the after about 1/4 mile everywhere looked really skinny. I'm going to get a buddy or two to go wwith me a spend a day "pushing the boat" by the end maybe I will be able read a river.

thanks for all the advice and if anyone that has lots of experience I would appreciate the chance to take you oon my boat and go run a river.

Mooney, One thing that you want to be careful about following some one on any river is that when you get into thin water areas you will want to hang back a little because if you are following to close and get into a shallow area the boat in front will push a large amount of the water out of the channel and it will leave you with no water you have to give the water time to flow back in. Another thing is a tendency to pull back on the throttle when in doubt just push on more power. You get use to when to cut the power and when to ad power. If when you are running along and all of a sudden you feel the boat lift that simply means that you are in shallow water and if possible that is not the time to turn as when you turn the boat will settle so if possible stright ahead when possible in shallow water. Good luck