Thread: Has anyone delt with Saturn Inflatables??

Default Has anyone delt with Saturn Inflatables??

I found this site online Their product seems very durable and reasonably priced. I'm looking at the 11'er for a hunting run-about, and duck boat. Does anyone have any experience with these boats or delt with the company?

I'm looking at buying within the next day or 2.

thanks for your help

Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

In 1982 I paid 2700 for a Zodiac I'm still using, Buy the toughest boat you can afford and you won't regret it. Store any inflatable in a heated area in winter and you'll triple it's life. 11 ' is pretty small unless you are on a pond or small lake.

I have purchased 5 different inflatable boats in the past that I've used in Alaska. Zodiac classic hypalon , Zodiac Zed vynil, Avon hypalon, Achilles hypalon with air floor, and Titan vynil. The Zodiacs and Avon had wooden floorboards and were 10' -to- 12 1/2' in length. The Achilles air floor was 11' 2". The Titan is 11' 9" in length with aluminum floorboards and a generous beam.

Weight is always a consideration with these portable boats, so is the ease with which they go together (or the lack of ease). I purchased the Achilles air floor model because it was lighter in weight and was the latest thing to hit the market. I hated it. The available interior room on inflatables is alway something to consider because the large tube diameter of the sidewalls take up considerable interior space, but really is just an unavoidable fact of life with all inflatables. The sidewall tubes come in handy for the guy driving the boat with tiller steering, you just sit on the side of the boat and and have plenty of leg room. With air floor inflatables a good 3 or 4 inches of freeboard is lost to the thickness of the inflatable floor. You and your passengers will end up sitting with your knees in your chins - sorta like the feeling you get as an adult when sitting in a kindergartener's chair. It was a bouncy, balloony, pain in the neck to operate under power. I paid a premium price for the Achilles name and found the workmanship and materials no better than any other I've ever run.

These days, I'm convinced that any of the different inflatable brands on the market in Anchorage boating stores are about equal in quality. All of them are made to high standards. Hypalon coated fabric used to be superior to the plastics/vynil fabrics available 20 years ago. However, with the technology and advancements in the plastic/vynils that protect against UV damage and strengthen them for abrasion resistance and tear strength - I'd say vynil/plastic inflatable boats are just as good, if not better, and cost far less than hypalon rubber. My experience out in the field with both types bears this out. All of them were tough and durable. Repairs, if any, should be made using a two-part adhesive that is designed for use with plastic or vynil boats. Hypalon rubber requires it's own blend of two part adhesive. Other than those repair requirements, you will never know the difference between the two fabric rivals when you are on the water in your boat - most of the arguements for and against are the result of advertizing hype and bull****.

The aluminum floorboards go together and assemble easier, but weigh more than the older style wooden floorboards. The 11' 9" Titan boat is about the limit for small size when fishing with 3 men on board. We can, with no room to spare, haul a stack of shrimp pots, fishing poles and white plastic buckets with our gear in them to keep the gear up off the floor. Add the 3 1/2 gallon fuel tank for the kicker, plus clothing, lunch, and rain gear for 3 and some emergency gear and you quickly fill the boat up.

The hand carry bundle for any of these 11 to 12 1/2 foot boats when deflated and folded up is a pretty substantial load. Add 20 to 25 lbs to the advertised carry weight. Remember, those advertised boat weights are without the carry satchel, oars, footpump, repair kit, ropes, etc.

A 5 or 6 horsepower, four stroke outboard will push you along at 3/4 throttle barely sipping fuel at about 6 knots with a full boat (Even a small outboard that size will get you on step when solo). Tohatsu outboards in the smaller horsepower range are a great value. The Tohatsu are tough, reliable and a great bargain.

You will need a 15 horse outboard to get on step and zip along with 3 men on board. Any bigger 4 stroke outboard will be too heavy to be considered something portable that you can easily haul around with your boat package. For many of us, 4 strokes are preferable because they are quieter, use far less fuel, and the smoke fumes from the two strokes is a nuisance when trolling or idling . Plus, 2 stroke fuel eventually makes the floorboards, gas cans, transom, and anything else on board oily and slick. However, if you don't care about those minor issues - you can't beat the small, carburated two strokes for power and lightweight portability.

If I had it to do over again, I would get the 12' 9" Titan, maybe twenty pounds more in weight than the 11' 9" Titan that I've enjoyed for the past few years. If there are going to be 4 of you on board, they make a really nice 13' 9" model as well. Titan brand boats are the best bargain there is on the market. Typically, they are several inches wider than other brands, giving you more interior space (your Saturn has a 62" wide beam - approximately 10 inches narrower than a comparable Titan Brand). You can buy two of the Titan boats for what you'd pay for one of the heavily advertised brands such as Avon, Zodiac, or Achilles. I've owned each of those brand names and really find no practical or discernable difference in quality of workmanship or materials. Titans no longer are available with the wood floorboard option - aluminum floor is the way to go now.

Marita Sea & Ski in Anchorage carries Titan brand inflatables at prices that are as cheap as you can get them off the internet. Plus, they have really good customer service and parts dept.

Did you ever get more information on the Saturn boat ? It appears to be a lot of boat for the money; or a lot of wasted money ? I would appreciate knowing if you learned more. thanks, chris