Thread: 7mm weatherby ?

Default 7mm weatherby ?

Hi
    I am asking what people's thoughts are on the 7 mm weatherBy with the 180 grain Berger VLD for Moose?
    Cannot decide .

Thanks

Well it will kill them just fine with good shot placement. I hunt moose with a 7mm RM (160gr partitions) which is about 98% as effective at half the cost. Really anything in the range from .270 Win to .338 Win will work as long as you do your part. If you just like that combo and don't mind the cost then have at it.

I am a big 7mm Remington mag fan and also a Berger fan but in this instance I think there are much better bullet choices for moose than the VLD. Nothing wrong with the caliber choice but so many moose shots are at fairly close range and the weatherby is throwing it out there so fast that I would be concerned about the bullet coming apart when hitting heavy bone. If you are dead set on a high BC bullet, try the 175 grain accubond. With such a flat shooting caliber and such a big kill zone, you would likely be fine with any heavy bonded or partition style bullet regardless of the BC.

We've tipped over a bunch of moose with 280AI's and 140 "X" bullets...none have never gone more than 20 feet with behind the shoulder shots!

Once again let's say it together, "It's not about the headstamp, it's about the bullet"....re-hint!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    "It's not about the headstamp, it's about the bullet"

What is your other bullet option? If you had another one that shot good, I would go with that. Unless you have a particular place in mind that could have some significantly long shots. If you don't really have anything but the VLD, then use it and be happy.

7mm Weatherby/ VLD is a fine caliber bullet combo, but not the laser beam super death ray some people think it is. More like a glorified 7mm RM that seems fast because of a lot of freebore and a great medium game bullet. Stick with what everyone else is saying, stay away from sexy and select a tough bullet that has built a reputation of knocking down big critters.

I would go with a 7mm Mag; ammo would be a lot cheaper for one. The 7mag still uses close to 70 grains of powder which puts it in the same league as the .300 win mag. I bought a .300 RUM last year and I actually kind of regret it; if I could do it again I'd get a 7mm Mag.

I second going non weatherby, Ammo is so expensive, when I baught my .270 I wanted a 270 weatherby but decided against it even tho I hand load all my hunting rounds and I have killed many moose with It with 150-160 nosler partitions, granted every one has been with in 50 yards. I have shot the last two moose with the Winchester/nosler combined technology silver tip bullets and they have hit the hardest part of the front shoulder and still penetrate 3-4 feet while staying intact.

My thoughts? Whatever you can shoot straight and with absolute confidence. Though I do draw a lower limit at .243, I really don't think it much matters above that if you are competent with your rifle. Unless you are trying to get yourself set for shots over 300 yards? Then it gets a lot more critical to examine caliber and bullet performance.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

One nice thing about the 7mm Rem Mag is that factory ammunition has remained available throughout the recent shortage. Everything from the standard stuff with "cup and core" bullets through the premium lineup could be found on shelves all over town. I found my hunting load (Federal 160gr Nosler Partitions) on clearance sale at Dimond Fred Meyer's during the depth of the shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Once again let's say it together, "It's not about the headstamp, it's about the bullet"....re-hint!
    Wait! I thought what we were supposed to say was, " It's not about the bullet, it's about the bullet placement.".

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Wait! I thought what we were supposed to say was, " It's not about the bullet, it's about the bullet placement.".
    Bullet placement should go without saying, of course you need that, I think that most folks know that, well you never know tho? Killing game efficiently has never been hard, line up some bone with internal vitals, with a great killing bullet like an X and hit the switch, its all over but the packing!
    I can explain it for people, but I cant understand it for them
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

That bullet and cartridge would work great if you knew your shot was 300 yards....

But what about 300 feet? or 30 feet?

I got my caribou this year in dead open, flat, snow covered tundra at a whopping 125 yards.

I'd steer towards something bonded like an AB or a solid like the TSX. In the real world, the differences between the BCs won't amount to squat.
    The 7 Wby is a fine cartridge if it floats your boat- the first of the "fast 7s" and really should be more popular than it is.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

That combo would work fine... I use 7mm RSAUM and 180gr berger but when I am on the ridge tops and I know my shots are going to be long. When in the heavy stuff where 300 yards is going to be the farthest shot, 300 win mag with 180 barnes. When on the ridge tops I can put a berger in the boiler room and I am going to be able to see where he meets his demise. When in the willows, close shots and the ability to break both shoulders, the barnes shines. That being said... I would like to put a plug in on my 300 win mag. it is a thompson center ICON. It is an amazing moose rifle. With the weather shield coating it holds up as good or better than my custom ceracoated rifles. The BEST part of the rifle is that it has a bolt lift lock, so when going through the heavy stuff, the bolt doest catch and open. SOOoo nice. In summery... hodgeman and stekewood are right on.

Thank you all for your input

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

I got my caribou this year in dead open, flat, snow covered tundra at a whopping 125 yards.
    That's about the same distance I was from my caribou when I shot him two weeks ago. I used a .270, 130 grain soft point; it went clean through him and he was stone dead within a few seconds.