Thread: back up gun

Default back up gun

So my buddy is going on his bow only moose hunt next week. I had planned on tagging along to help bag and hike etc if he happens to get one. What are the rules on taking a rifle into a bow only area. Keep in mind that its only going to be in case a bear decides to descend upon us while dressing out a kill. There were a lot of bear tracks in the area which is the cause for concern and desire to carry something heavy hitting just in case. If its not allowed I suppose the pistol or shotgun with a slug will suffice if that is allowed.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Both of you can carry anything that you want. Just don't kill anything that you don't have a tag for unless it's DLP.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

As long as you are legally allowed to possess the firearm there is no law against packing a rifle or any other gun anywhere in Alaska other than what Alaska law states regarding firearms. Like on school property, courthouse, in businesses that sell alcohol for consumption on the premise, etc.

http://www.dps.alaska.gov/statewide/...g/firearm.aspx
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

It can depend somewhat on where the hunt is. If it is on public land, no problem. If it is on base, such as JBER, there are some specific regulations you must follow to carry a firearm. They used to not let you on JBER at all I belive, but now they do let people carry handguns (not sure about long guns), they just have to be registered with the base before you go.

Awesome thanks guys. I figured it would be alright just wanted to get confirmation before I did it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.