Thread: tikka 270 mods

Default tikka 270 mods

Hey guys,

After this hunt im looking to do a little work on the tikka. Just curious what the (experienced/experts) think about modifying this rifle. After 4 years of shooting this rifle i have zero complaints on accuracy and it weighs in at 119.7 Oz (7.48 pds) but i want to put a lighter trigger in it. What can i do to increase accuracy first/ lighten up second. (square action/new barrel)
    NRA life Member JVJ

Tikka's come with an adjustable trigger, just remove the action from the stock and you will see an allen screw on the trigger group. They even give you the correct sized wrench with the rifle when you buy it. Just back the screw out until it stops. I think they stop is set at 2 pounds. I did this to mine and couldn't be happier with the results. There are a few youtube videos about this as well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Looking forward to these posts myself, I'm looking to get a LH 308 Tikka T3 and cut her down to 18 put on open sights, and QR scope mounts......

Good to know on the trigger and looking forward to anything else that can lighten/accurize this model.

End hijack.....carry on.

Alaska Custom Firearms installed my ironsights and those are good at 100 if anything was to happen to my scope. I can play with that trigger post hunt prior to installing an aftermarket.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I sure love to shoot my Tikka 308 superlight, it is my favorite gun to shoot and weighs less than 7 lbs. But I took it out moose hunting the other night and I have to say I dont care for the safety for a hunting rig. Having to be off of safety to work the bolt just seems wrong. I'm just used to my Model 70 and M77 safeties I guess.

A couple of things a lot of people do with the Tikka T3 is replace the recoil pad with a Limbsaver and use better scope mounts. DNZ is a good idea there.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Honestly, other than the trigger adjustment, I don't think I could make my rifle more accurate. I even run the factory scope rings on mine. Tikkas are fantastic rifles, and I'm highly impressed with them. Now if only they made the superlites in short mags...

I have one of those old nasty wood stock Tikka in .243 Win and I ran a AI reamer into the chamber with no other mods. I just checked scope this afternoon in prep for a little wolf searching in the AM. Shooting Sierra 85 gr HPBT very fast, I put together three 5 shot groups at 100 yds, each into the same hole which did open up to about 5/8" with my Leupold set on 9x. I don't think I can do better than that with any high dollar custom gun. My other one in .338 Fed doesn't do that good but still....Tikka rules!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

They are an inexpensive rifle that offer a lot of performance for the money. Can't say I'm crazy about the one action length for all the cartridges they offer, but a person can do a lot worse. The only upgrade I've put on mine are Talley LWs that were machined for a better and lower fit. Here's a pic of mine with a Leupold 6X42 in low rings. Not a lot I couldn't get done with this outfit and it is otherwise a stock Tikka.

TikkainTalleys.jpg
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I am super happy with my superlight in 7mm mag, I didn't even want to lighten the trigger - I do wish they had a safety release button like the Sako but I just make sure the gun is pointed in a safe place when I unload, no big deal - the safety works mighty slick though - I like the Talleys too, my son put DNZ's on his and he likes them too, I think either of those would be the best choice - limbsaver pad for sure - I too wish they'd make the superlight in WSM's ! THAT would be a big improvement

I put quick detach scope mounts on mine when i added the iron sights. I dont really need the recoil pad unless i was going to drop weight swapping it. Are guys just buying them from sportsmans or ordering them online?
    NRA life Member JVJ

Check out tikkashooters.com and tikkaperformance.com There is some good info on mods

I bought mine at sportsmans.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Hey guys,

After this hunt im looking to do a little work on the tikka. Just curious what the (experienced/experts) think about modifying this rifle. After 4 years of shooting this rifle i have zero complaints on accuracy and it weighs in at 119.7 Oz (7.48 pds) but i want to put a lighter trigger in it. What can i do to increase accuracy first/ lighten up second. (square action/new barrel)
    Definitely, Rebarrel.

To 280 Rem.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Don't Tikkas have plastic recoil lugs??

nope, the lightweights have an aluminum lug in the stock that engages a slot in the front of the receiver. lighten your trigger and spend some range time with the new setup, it gets real light and crisp which can fool you if you're not used to it. like if you shoot your 8mm mauser then switch back to the tikka, may surprise you a little. i also used the talley lwts on my 338wm and they have held great for over 1000 rds so far.

There is a work around for the safety and there is also a fairly cheap aftermarket recoil lug made out of steel. May provide for more long term accuracy.