Thread: P cod in ketchikan area?

Default P cod in ketchikan area?

I have seen some caught in the are, what is the best way to target them?

They are right under the dock where you process your fish!! lol! They are just waiting down there for scraps. At least they are where I'll be in two weeks.

I have caught them in Icy Straits as well. Anchored up for halibut, dropped down whole herring and up comes the cod. If there's one there's a bunch more with it; they're schoolers so keep chunking and ripping lips until you have all you want to clean.

In Icy Straits they were 250' down and on POW only 30'.....YMMV.

We used heavy jigs, big Pixees, my home made knife jigs to catch them. Halibut rigs will do fine. Drop down tighten the line and wait. Some of the guys with me either had bad luck/karma or didn't know how to follow what I told them. The cod seemed to prefer motionless bait over movement and I'm pretty sure they were doing some light jigging whereas I only felt the bottom bump, tightened up and at the sign of bumpity-bump started lifting. That set the hook - 8/0 sharp Gamakatsu Octopus hook. I varied the bait size ( coho fins) from a whole fin to a tiny french fry sized slice. Didn't matter. Only the odd sculpin until the bite was on and then after 17 in a row I quit. Same happened the next day at fish cleaning time or an hour later. I would try at the fish cleaning dock and also near any cannery out flow. HTH.

P9110048.jpg

y do thoze fish smell so awful when guttin em?
    taste yummy tho

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    y do thoze fish smell so awful when guttin em?
    taste yummy tho
    Ya - I noticed that when I nicked one's guts....after that sour stomach stench....I worked around the guts to get the fillets off w/o cutting into the stinkies.