Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen pots, Whittier

Default Stolen pots, Whittier

We had 5 pots out for 4 days last week and weekend, got 350-400 total, so that was pretty good. The last day we had our pots in Blackstone and some one stole 2 of them. Strange they only took 2 of the 3 I had on one string. I know they were stole, because I had 2 of one kind and 1 of another kind. The 1 they didn't take was at the bottom of the string and when I pulled them it was at the top of the string. So watch out as there are some shady characters out there. Of course they took my best pots and left me the one I don't like either
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

That really sucks! I can't understand why some low life would do that. If this starts to be a big problem, maybe we can get AKDF&G to hit the area a little harder and maybe find this thief!

Is there a way to mark your pots so they can be identified?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default last year

Wasn't there a problem last year with people stealing pots?

Default Problem

Yes there is a problem with people stealing pots all over the sound. It is one of our troopers biggest problems over here in Valdez.

If you have a problem. call the troopers over in Valdez, or Cordova as they patrol a lot of area. Give them all the information that you can. The more information they have, bots in area, date, time and such they might be able to start pin pointing some culprits.

If you want the emaill address of our trooper over here PM me and I will send it to you.

It is a crime now to even touch a bouy not belonging to you, so they can do something if they can catch them.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Why not take along a good strong pair of binoculars, and just fish within a distance that allows you to see your bouys. If you see someone screwing with them zoom over and get their boat number, perhaps take pictures if you have a camera. Give that information to the troopers.

There can't be that many thieves, so if we take a proactive approach I'm sure we'll thin 'em out.

Default Won't work for many

Many of us leave them in for 2-3 days at a time. I have sat on them before. Whom ever is doing it in different areas must be there at night or very early light.

Default Yup there are out there

I stopped marking mine with big orange bouys so you could see them for a 5 miles. Haven't missed one in 2 years now, also big ones tend to add a lot more drag on fast tides so mine don't tend to pull away from where I put them anymore.
    No ones going to pull some ones pots with a boat near by, to easy to find them where no one is around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    .44 mag 3 inches below the water line comes to mind, but

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    I stopped marking mine with big orange bouys so you could see them for a 5 miles. Haven't missed one in 2 years now, also big ones tend to add a lot more drag on fast tides so mine don't tend to pull away from where I put them anymore.
    No ones going to pull some ones pots with a boat near by, to easy to find them where no one is around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    .44 mag 3 inches below the water line comes to mind, but

Reminds me of Elmer Fud putting his fingers in the holes!! LOL

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Pots

Were they metal mesh pots? If so, did they met the new regs? If not, F&G might of taken them. Doesn't make sense for some one to take only part of them when they were on the same string...

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Were they metal mesh pots? If so, did they met the new regs? If not, F&G might of taken them. Doesn't make sense for some one to take only part of them when they were on the same string...
    His pots were legal. They didn't only take 2 pots but rope and clips as well. No it doesn't make sense but like he said they took the better pots.

Default for whittier it is the

seward troopers who are in control for that side. really sucks man. i always have an eye out while out and about. anyways talk the troopers. bummer deal.

Default Pot Picture

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    His pots were legal. They didn't only take 2 pots but rope and clips as well. No it doesn't make sense but like he said they took the better pots.
    Like AKBighorn states, they were legal pots, and better pots than what was left behind. I had 2 other dropped about 500 yards away and some one else had a string beyond that. No others around. We hung out most the day glassing for bears, but left them over night. I think these guys steal them late or very early. Maybe they only needed 2 pots to make 5 for them, Who knows. Does piss you (me) off though. Take my shrimp but don't take my pots and rope, bait can, and set up Actual keep your mitts off s$@#&T that isn't yours.

Here is a pic of the pot that was stollen. Notice it has 2 round steel bars that are machined with grooves to hold zip ties in place for weights. Maybe some one will see them and let me know the boat name and we can turn them in. tnks
    Last edited by Queen of Kings; 11-03-2007 at 19:22.

Default Send

Send that pic to the trooper in Valdez, Seward and Cordova. They do checks all the time and if they know what to watch for then you may get lucky.

Man that sucks, nice looking pot and i really like those weights in them,very nice. I'm building myself all yellow color wire pots this year and i'm stocking some white wire also. Maybe if the pots look different and are a ez id with different color wire combos those low lifes will leave them alone. Once i get out fishing i'll let you guys know how the yellow wire pots fish.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Pot Builder

Looks like I am in need of some more pots I saw the ones you made for AKBighorn, very nice workmanship, great pots. Ok there is my plug for you I made my weights out of some old stainless steel shafting we have around from some old repair jobs. Maybe you I need to talk about some bartering???

Im just curious what all of you do ... carreer wise... Im only 14 and want to become a police officer..... it would suit me and should be able to afford a 24' On that salary

Sorry to hear that. That is the reason I never go to far from my pots.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Don't expect the troopers to catch anyone stealing pots, they are short staffed and care more about speeders than anything else.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

They have been trying. Last year I went out with a trooper out of Whittier and we dropped a bunch of pots and then like an AK trooper Intern to camp on the beach nearbye with a camera and binos. They didnt catch anyone last year. Just be aware that they are trying and if you are tampering with pots you just might be getting observed.

Thumbs up A Brown Shirt in a River Near You!

My wife and I were actually had our licenses checked this last weekend at the Deshka. I told him I was glad to see him and told him about some of the issues I had at Lake Creek last year.

He was happy to be out of the highway office and back on the river. He told me that they should be receiving their brown uniforms soon. He also stated that there is now a push to hire more Wildlife Officers (Not Troopers). The problem was that the Wildlife Officers that were sucked in to the restructuring are not being allowed to return back to wildlife protection and this has a few of them ticked off.

I for one am happy that our new governor has separated the blues and brown shirts! They have my support 100%!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast