Thread: Stone Glacier Pack

Default Stone Glacier Pack

Hey guys, i got my hands on a stone glacier pack for the first time and will be leaving friday with it. I will make sure to take notes and record a departure weight and hopefully a return weight if im successful. But how have guys been liking this pack. My first thought was 6000ci looks small but i just used a barneys pinnacle and cabelas alasakan extreme the week before. I know i can get all of my gear in it and if i bone out meat i dont see an issue for getting everything loaded.

Im also impressed by the rods that support the pack and seem like they will load well with weight. In alaska i know most guys like to throw the barneys name around and say theres no replacement, but for certain circumstances allow for different gear. This is definitely no moose packer but i wouldnt say an 8 pound barneys is the perfect sheep pack either. Although if you knew you would be successful every hunt you might just carry the barneys.

Tonight i will reload the pack and get some weights before the friday drive and saturday departure for 7 days. Im hoping for a solid new piece of gear and from the previous trips that this loaner has been through it looks to be holding up well.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I bought a Stone Glacier 6000cuin Terminus pack this year & SOLD my Barney's !!!
    There is nothing wrong with the Barney's pack & frame but to me the starting out weight empty was something I have been thinking for a long time was way to heavy for what I wanted.
    The Stone Glacier with the Terminus pack, added spotting scope bag & the small access bag weighed in at about 4 1/2 - 5 lbs depending on how accurate my scale is, but I now had a bag that was 6000 cu in + 900 cu in + the spotting scope bag + the additional 2100 cu in carrying capacity of the Stone Glacier = 9000 cu in, a no brainer on my part for what I needed.
    With a little practice loading the pack it is easy to get used to all the buckles the Stone Glacier has & keep it secured so there is no shifting of weight & to keep the bag close to the frame even after the extra area is used. Meaning using the shelf to pack game or whatever you wanna put in there close to your back & center of gravity.
    I don't see a reason you couldn't pack moose with it, I know Rick French packed a water buffalo head with it & know it works for packing elk quarters so why not moose ???
    Just my input on what I think is a great light weight pack!!
    The tests done by Kurt at Stone Glacier & what RockSlide did pretty much sold me on how strong yet light the pack & frame we're.

I'm sold on a kifaru, but I almost pulled the trigger on the Stone Glacier

Which one or ones.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Which one or ones.
    Bikini frame and highcamp pack. I'm debating on picking up the timberline pack. But not to steal the thread... the stone glacier almost won my heart with the meat packing capabilities.

Well my Barney's is too heavy and idk if the newer Kevlar ones are lighter. I have been experimenting with internal frame which is more comfortable until the weight gets over 80 pounds which is whenever I shoot something. Then the stability and rigidity of the Barney's takes over. I tried on the stone glacier but it was difficult to see how this could manage a heavy load in rugged terrain. So far if I want to lighten my Barney's I take the bag off......ps Barney's has no replacement buckles which Is a problem.....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Well I am all loaded up and with gun bullets and water i am at 47.6 pounds with water, food, and gun as well as the majority of the food for two of us (the gf is the partner this year). I also have more food than normal. If i packed the tipi instead of the nallo i could drop 4 pounds and i could drop 2 on the food. Im attempting to upload my weighed pack list but having issues. Super excited and this pack should be a dream going through the alders vs the external frames.

G-Man, i agree on that. did you add the gun carrying straps to yours or do you just wrap the compression straps?
    NRA life Member JVJ

I have the Terminus, and really like it. Just got back from 15 days sheep hunting, and got to put some weight in it - not a full ram, but all the meat minus one shoulder (bone in quarters) plus spike camp. It handled the weight just fine. I don't think you will have any trouble hauling weight with it. My previous pack was also a Pinnacle, and loading the terminus was a little strange at first, but once you figure it out, it is really easy. I missed the Barney's pockets, but that was it.

I have the rifle carrier, and it works great. You will love the pack in the brush, and in the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    I too am sold on the Kifaru (DT1), but also looked hard at the SG. I've been hearing really positive reviews on the SG though.

I just got the terminus pack this year and really like it. I do wish it had some more pockets but at 4 lbs and being able to haul 130+lbs I can't complain. I got mine in the beginning of July and the ones after July 10 have the load shelf not attached to the bag. That option would have been nice while rushing up to get my sheep off the mountain. I got the rifle holder and the lumbar pad for it and like both those options.

akpride I did buy the gun carrying straps but had the one from Kifaru as well. I used the Kifaru & in my opinion is definitely better.

Well, i am back from my 7 day 8 night and unfortunately i didnt get to completely load the pack (no sheep) so i didnt get to test more than 60 pounds in it. From what i did hike with it 30 miles i definitely enjoyed. First thing you hit are alders and you quickly notice the difference between an external frame, as you can walk through without getting caught on everything. originally i had the gun on the outside of the pack but i eventually put the gun in the pack as i could tighten everything down nice a tight and my gun was caught on less. Next thing i enjoyed was the compressability of the pack. going from loading all your gear to loading your day gear you can compress that pack down and nothing moves. so this was a huge advantage to my externals. I was originally worried about space but with being able to use the load shelf i dont see an issue of adding a sheep to what i was carrying.

overall the weight was awesome and everything was stable. Much easier running around day to day with this pack than the external. the only issue i had was a tiny piece of velcrow would scratch my back at times walking around. and that got annoying but if it was my pack i would trim off that couple strands of velcrow.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I've been looking into the Stone Glacier to supplement my Barney's bag. I love my Barney's bag for long trips but it's a beast for weekend hunts. I want a lighter pack that I can stuff a black bear into but doesn't weigh 8.5 lbs. It's hard to travel light and fast up a mountain with my Barney's. I'd be interested to know how you Barney's converts think the Stone Glacier does in transferring the weight down to the hip belt.

A friend lent me his stone glacier terminus. Have only been able to use for a few day trips, no big loads yet. Have been pleased thus far but not completely sold on it yet. Has anyone packed moose quarters with theirs? Thinking about taking it on our late moose hunt this weekend. It seems like it would handle the weight, but I'm not sure if a moose quarter would fit on it. Will probably bring it and give it whirl, but will also grab my barneys pack too as I know for a fact that it will handle moose quarters.