Thread: Any suggestions for leaking rivets

Default Any suggestions for leaking rivets

Who's got the best method for sealing leaking rivets.

Also, who knows someone who can weld a cracked intake assembly.

You may have guessed that last weekend was a hard one on the boat.

Thanks,

Hntr

Thumbs up

If you know which ones are leaking, I have had good luck with one person in the boat (with a big hammer) and one under the boat (also with said style 'o hammer). Figure out a system to locate which rivit is needing some attention and have the person in the boat simply hold their hammer down on top of the rivit while person #2 (under the boat) whacks it briskly a few times.

This has worked for me quite well if the rivit is still in decent shape. If the edges are all bent up and deformed, you should change it out.

I used to take my boat off the trailer in the spring and set it up on sawhorses. I would fill the boat with 3-4" of water then go underneath and circle which ones were weeping/leaking. Empty the boat, and start whacking them. It keeps the boat leak free for quite a while.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Just a heads up for what will NOT work: Any type of putty or epoxy on the water side. I tried this marine grade JB weld stuff. It fixed the leak, but after running the boat shallow a few times it scraped that stuff right off and the leak was back.

I like AKMuds suggestion, but I think I have a rivet that is completely missing. I'm not sure if I can replace it because on the inside there is a brace in the way.

Not sure what I'm gonna do besides make sure my bilge pump is up to the task

The only problem I have is having to take the floor out to put the hammer on the top side of the rivet. Not a small task.

What about some truck bed liner type of stuff? anyone used any?

I read about some on myBoatForum.com.

Hntr

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Just a heads up for what will NOT work: Any type of putty or epoxy on the water side. I tried this marine grade JB weld stuff. It fixed the leak, but after running the boat shallow a few times it scraped that stuff right off and the leak was back.

I like AKMuds suggestion, but I think I have a rivet that is completely missing. I'm not sure if I can replace it because on the inside there is a brace in the way.

Not sure what I'm gonna do besides make sure my bilge pump is up to the task

Tom,

You may try using a large headed pop rivit from underneath to simply block the hole somewhat. It would be better than an open hole for sure!
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have a similar project: I have an old 16 ft riveted aluminum skiff with a number of leaking rivets - otherwise in good shape. I filled with water, marked the leakers, mashed em per the double hammer method. I flipped the boat over, prepped with a brillo pad and am about to "seam seal" all rivets with a product called Gluv-it. Internet search shows some mixed reviews of this application, however, most reviews have been positive. It seems to be commonly used to seal the bottom of a drift boat. It aint cheap - I just paid something like $65 for a quart at West Marine in South Anchorage. I would be interested to hear of anyones experience with this product.

Cheers

Joel

If You Can Reach It. 3m 5200 - Takes A Week To Cure .......maybe Even The Pop Rivet With That Then Applied To Fill Hole In Rivet. Very Durable When Dry.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Reeve Airmotive sells lots of sizes of structural closed pop rivets that won't leak once they're pulled. A dab of 5200 or Sikaflex and install the rivet...voila. As for loose driven rivets? I'd borrow or rent a pneumatic rivet driver, get an appropriate bucking bar, and with the help of a friend you can rattle them tight. It's the same idea as with two hammers but more effective. The old rivets can be drilled out and replaced if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Tom,

You may try using a large headed pop rivit from underneath to simply block the hole somewhat. It would be better than an open hole for sure!
    You may be right, however tonight I took my mother for a spin on the little su and my motor has appear to have seized so a leaky rivet is now the least of my worries. I fixed the impeller and now this. Out of the pan and into the fire

The first riveted boat that I had I put 3M winshield adhesive (the kind to install windshield in autos). I put it on the botton of the boat, not knowing any better, and it held up for two years. I sold the boat so who knows how long it lasted. I did run it over some shallow spots quite often and it never leaked. The leaking rivets were on the very back of the boat.

You may be right, however tonight I took my mother for a spin on the little su and my motor has appear to have seized so a leaky rivet is now the least of my worries. I fixed the impeller and now this. Out of the pan and into the fire
    Major bummer!! Especially right at the beginning of the season! Are you going to rebuild it or repower?
    AKmud

Rule out the simple stuff like the jet bearing before you get too bummed about a seizure.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but could a burnt bearing be enough to prevent the engine from turning over?

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Major bummer!! Especially right at the beginning of the season! Are you going to rebuild it or repower?
    I don't know. I'm just bummed out right now. I put so much time and effort, not to mention money, getting the boat ready for a great summer and my first little trip.. boom.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but could a burnt bearing be enough to prevent the engine from turning over?
    Yes it can. I've had it happen a couple of times. In my experience the probability of a jet seizure is greater than the probability of a powerhead seizure.

Joel-I don't think that Gluv-It is for sealing. I use it on my drift boat as a slick coating on the bottom (outside) to keep the boat from sticking on rocks as I drift down river. I suppose it would seal to a point but I don't think that is it's purpose.

Question Gluv it

AFG,
    Interesting, I purchased a used boat a couple years ago & the guy told me thats what he used for sealing the rivit holes & leaks & it worked great. He even gave me the remaining of what he had.
    I don't know as I have never tried it, but I look at the can ever year in the shed & wonder if I should try it or throw it out.

just wondering , but how about Rhino lining the inside and not worrying about the bottom? not sure but thought I would throw that out there