Thread: Fish and game a little help maybe?

Default Fish and game a little help maybe?

I just got back from fishing all Summer, and have little time to get ready. I have issues with both the areas I want to hunt and Fish and Game can offer little help?

I want to get the RM869 registration.. but I have to get it in person?.. And not in my home town? Or online? It opens on a Saturday..

DM773.. no locking tag sent to me... I need to just run up to Fairbanks and pick it up??

A little 600 mile stroll?

Preparation is the word of the day, but like I said I just got back in town after 5 moths on the boat.. have not focused on this stuff yet.

Would be nice if I could get this stuff at a local Fish and game office.. you know as a convenience to a year round resident and all.

Government at it's best.

You would do best to call the office that is nearest the management unit you have the tag for. Don't know on the registration, my experience is they are nearly all an inperson thing and cut offs vary.

yea, the registration I kind of understand, they want to limit Caribou hunters from running across a moose, and increasing moose take.. but kind of inconvenient for someone living 500 miles away with one of those nasty things called a job. It opens on a Sunday... Need to get the tag by 5 on Friday? Some don't have that kind of time.

The locking tag .. also a good idea, but I did not get mine and just learned about the new reg... so go to Fairbanks to pick it up?

They can mail it to Delta which will help though.. would be easier to get it here.

Some folks are good at this legal crap.. I am not.. I don't break the rules, and would appreciate a simpler system.

I'm not familar with the RM 869 permit you mentioned. And I just looked it up here and don't see it:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nttype=R&res=1

Maybe hunt RM865? http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...______________ Not sure what you're so upset about. You are making a 600mi drive to hunt moose in one area by registration, even though you have a draw tag for any bull in a separate place. Sounds like you didn't do all the research before wanting to hunt.

yea, its rm 865.. I have done tons of hours of research, and hunted it the last two years. I put in for a few drawings as water levels can make my hunt fairly difficult(possibly this year)... I'd have much better odds hunting my draw tag, but just love the country of this other hunt... and the draw closes Sept 25, so I have a fall back plan... but never received my locking tag( a new reg)

Paper work drives me insane. I commercial fish, and have to do more than I want to to make the boat, skiff, crew, trailers, epirbs, rafts, bouys, lights,.. legal.. and would like to go hunting without a continuation of the forms, and papers.. the hunt opens on a Sunday... F and G closes at 5 on Friday.. and you have to pick it up in person.. not on line. not in your local F and G office. Seems there is an easy solution here...

I have learned today that possibly a local vendor in TOK has the permits..

where you came to the conclusion I did not do enough research is kind of odd to be honest.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    yea, its rm 865.. I have done tons of hours of research, and hunted it the last two years. I put in for a few drawings as water levels can make my hunt fairly difficult(possibly this year)... I'd have much better odds hunting my draw tag, but just love the country of this other hunt... and the draw closes Sept 25, so I have a fall back plan... but never received my locking tag( a new reg)

Paper work drives me insane. I commercial fish, and have to do more than I want to to make the boat, skiff, crew, trailers, epirbs, rafts, bouys, lights,.. legal.. and would like to go hunting without a continuation of the forms, and papers.. the hunt opens on a Sunday... F and G closes at 5 on Friday.. and you have to pick it up in person.. not on line. not in your local F and G office. Seems there is an easy solution here...

I have learned today that possibly a local vendor in TOK has the permits..

where you came to the conclusion I did not do enough research is kind of odd to be honest.
    Did you have to pick up your permit in person the last two years?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Did you have to pick up your permit in person the last two years?
    Yea I did.. hunts also started on week days..

I have been home 4 days since April 1 this year.. I just had little time to jump through hoops..

Thanks for all your "help"..

Sorry brother..... But it is,....what it is. If it says in person??, they mean it. No way around it, there might even b a cutoff like mentioned above!! First come first serve basis, Good luck brother and remember to check regs every year... Don't assume every year will have the same rules.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Yea I did.. hunts also started on week days..

I have been home 4 days since April 1 this year.. I just had little time to jump through hoops..

Thanks for all your "help"..
    I don't see the problem then....you've known for years how this works.

Why do you think you need a locking tag for the draw permit? I don't think residents need locking tags for anything except tag fee hunts which is only Musk Ox and Brown Bear. A moose draw permit should not require a locking tag.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I can't find anywhere that it says you need a locking tag for DM773. I re-checked the draw-hunt supplement and checked the hunt information on the fish and game website: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=12660

It seems like an exceedingly bad deal that the conditions of the hunt would change and require such a big drive.

All bull draws for DM 768- DM774 need a locking tag. They are mailed with the permit. I'm not sure why you did not get yours. My wife and I each got ours. In fact, my wife scored on a nice bull already and I will not be using DM773 tag now. I'm not sure if the number on the locking tag is specific to the hunter, but I would be happy to give you mine if that would fix your problem. It's worth a call to ADFG to see if that may be a feasible option.

The locking tag is new this year, and actually makes a little sense. If you are hunting DM773 and a guy drives by you with a 30 inch bull and you re concerned you have no way to know the moose was taken legally.. (any bull permit).. so we now have a new reg to address this issue. The in person registration for RM865 is to protect moose from caribou hunters.. I get it.. but isn't the bou hunt over at this time?

I was told the locking tag and permit were sent separately. I got the permit.. not the tag. Again I have not been home since April 1. so maybe my wife lost it?

What was concerning was when I call Fairbanks to find a solution the government worker with the secure job(yes I have issues) said come up and get it. I said well, I live quit a ways from you.. she had no other solution. Another call and I got a solution of send it to Delta.. acceptable.. works unless I arrive on a weekend, and have to wait till Monday to pick it up.

Iuskeeper, thanks for the offer..but seems getting it in Delta may be the easiest.

I'd be curious if Fish and game has a mission statement and what it might be? To secure employment for a few, with inflation proofing, and benefits, and use the degrees we earned at school to study animals and go to Christmas parties?

Anything in there about serving the folks that pay their wages?? I doubt it.

I should post the check list I need to go through to be legal on my boat... it's three pages.. and any one of those checks forgotten can terminate my trip(cost me a lot of money).. yet there is a guy canoeing from Seattle that needs nothing more than a life jacket to navigate the same waters. I have a 50' boat, skiff, generator, life boat, epirb, life jackets, high water alarms, action plans, waste removal plans, bilge pumps, fire extinguishers, a lot of stuff..

but apparently the canoe is safer. Ranting about another gov agency here.. but they are all pretty similar... jobs for a few that evolve to not really caring about the people they serve, that cost more and more to maintain.

Moving my hunt back two days.. weather also part of this decision..

I don't understand why Fairbanks wouldn't mail you your locking tag. It's easy enough for them to look up the permit winners and see your name. Have you called the licensing department in Juneau?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Barbarian View Post
    Sorry brother..... But it is,....what it is. If it says in person??, they mean it. No way around it, there might even b a cutoff like mentioned above!! First come first serve basis, Good luck brother and remember to check regs every year... Don't assume every year will have the same rules.
    Indeed, I would LOOOOOOOVE to have the any bull tag out in DLG that I used to get when I lived there, but as I now do not I will just have to look for a biggun or get better optics to count those brows......part of the game and I'm cool with it.

ANCHOR.....I doubt your bitterness is doing you any good, and I feel that ADFG wildlife folks do indeed care a lot about their constituents, but there are rules,office hours, etc. that they must deal with as well. I don't think any of them want to put a wrench in your hunt plans. Don't forget that department also ensures there are still some fish around for you to catch while harvesting from a resource that is common property.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds
    I'd be curious if Fish and game has a mission statement and what it might be?

Here you go:

To protect, maintain, and improve the fish, game, and aquatic plant resources of the state, and manage their use and development in the best interest of the economy and the well-being of the people of the state, consistent with the sustained yield principle.
    Guiding Principles:

Seeking excellence in carrying out its responsibilities under state and federal law, the department will:

1. Provide for the greatest long-term opportunities for people to use and enjoy Alaskaís fish, wildlife, and habitat resources.
    2. Improve public accessibility to, and encourage active involvement by the public in, the departmentís decision-making processes.
    3. Build a working environment based on mutual trust and respect between the department and the public, and among department staff.
    4. Maintain the highest standards of scientific integrity and provide the most accurate and current information possible.
    5. Foster professionalism in department staff, promote innovative and creative resource management, and provide ongoing training and education for career development.

Core Services:

• Provide opportunities to utilize fish and wildlife resources.
    • Ensure sustainability and harvestable surplus of fish and wildlife resources.
    • Provide information on Alaska fish and wildlife resources to all customers.
    • Involve the public in management of fish and wildlife resources.
    • Protect the state's sovereignty to manage fish and wildlife resources.
    • Protect important fish and wildlife habitat during permit and project review.

Goals:

• Optimize economic benefits from fish and wildlife resources.
    • Optimize public participation in fish and wildlife pursuits.
    • Increase public knowledge and confidence that wild populations of fish and wildlife are responsibly managed.

Not sure about the how and why of your "issues" with F&G. It's been my experience too that they do really care and that they do really "serve" the public in so many ways. Can't tell you how many times I've walked into a F&G office and spent hours talking to various bios and managers about things. They also are at Advisory Committee and BOG meetings and fully open to hear a person out and discuss issues. Some even give presentations on their own time and dime to better inform the hunting public. Your comment that the Department of Fish and Game is "jobs for a few that evolve to not really caring about the people they serve" is just way off the mark.