Thread: White Princess / Eastern Alaska Range

Default White Princess / Eastern Alaska Range

When you make it verbal, you make it possible.
    First major climb this year will be White Princess located close to Delta Junction.

My in-laws are coming in from Indonesia and will be able to take our kidlets while the husband and I do this climb hopefully in early to mid-June.

I see that many Fairbanks locals really enjoy this climb because it's a drive in (not fly in) and it's somewhat close.

If anyone has experience on this hike/climb, please let me know.

As a forewarning, we are planning on camping it out overnight and the hiking early, reaching the summit, and glissading down because it doesn't 'look' too rocky. We should be able to acclimate just fine because I have lived in high altitude... and I am done with altitude sickness... it's preventable. (one time is the last time for me)

Also... it seems to be an easier climb according to everything I have researched.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    When you make it verbal, you make it possible.
    First major climb this year will be White Princess located close to Delta Junction.

My in-laws are coming in from Indonesia and will be able to take our kidlets while the husband and I do this climb hopefully in early to mid-June.

I see that many Fairbanks locals really enjoy this climb because it's a drive in (not fly in) and it's somewhat close.

If anyone has experience on this hike/climb, please let me know.

As a forewarning, we are planning on camping it out overnight and the hiking early, reaching the summit, and glissading down because it doesn't 'look' too rocky. We should be able to acclimate just fine because I have lived in high altitude... and I am done with altitude sickness... it's preventable. (one time is the last time for me)

Also... it seems to be an easier climb according to everything I have researched.

Haha,

Are you actually inviting others from the forum, or are you just vocalizing your intentions so you can't back out as easily? Kinda like quitting smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Haha,

...or are you just vocalizing your intentions so you can't back out as easily? Kinda like quitting smoking?
    Hey, I do that all the time with my students and friends. If I'm worried that I might not feel motivated on Saturday morning to get my butt out of bed to climb a mountain only to ski back down, I make sure that I tell everyone I see. Knowing that I'll be facing those probing questions from inquisitive adolescents on Monday morning just gives me that much more motivation, though I don't often need it if the snow is deep. (Yep, I already miss winter...can you tell? ) Holding one another accountable to our big plans is but a small part of what we do here. Let us all know how the climb goes, COtoAK!

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Haha,

Are you actually inviting others from the forum, or are you just vocalizing your intentions so you can't back out as easily? Kinda like quitting smoking?
    Almost. Yes... I am just verbally committing to it...
    I checked some things out and there is only one area that I am really concerned with (because I might actually have to watch for rotten rock at 8,200ft.
    Yes... I am just speaking of my intentions. I'd prefer to do the climb solo (as most of my climbs are), but the husband is adamant that I take him (although my brother in law is the more experienced one at ice climbing...and that's the truth). Maybe I'll take them both and scare the heck out of both of them.
    Who knows.
    I just want to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hey, I do that all the time with my students and friends. If I'm worried that I might not feel motivated on Saturday morning to get my butt out of bed to climb a mountain only to ski back down, I make sure that I tell everyone I see. Knowing that I'll be facing those probing questions from inquisitive adolescents on Monday morning just gives me that much more motivation, though I don't often need it if the snow is deep. (Yep, I already miss winter...can you tell? ) Holding one another accountable to our big plans is but a small part of what we do here. Let us all know how the climb goes, COtoAK!
    Thanks! I need the encouragement. Usually, on these planned climbs, you only have one chance for the summit... because you will then have to plan again and I would just rather succeed at the first climb.
    Solo or not, I am going.
    Thanks again!

Default solo glacier travel

Be careful on the glacier during the approach. It seems as if the snow bridges would be a bit sketchy this time of year, given how warm its been.
    Good luck. Don't forget to take the camera.

Default 2nd person

Quote Originally Posted by solo hunter View Post
    Be careful on the glacier during the approach. It seems as if the snow bridges would be a bit sketchy this time of year, given how warm its been.
    Good luck. Don't forget to take the camera.
    You are the 2nd person that has told me this. I just received quite a response on another forum board that I usually just watch, but finally posted on this particular climb... and even though items such as these shouldn't shock me, this one kind of has.
    I think that I might still attempt it without the expectation of summitting it (although that is terrible) just so that I could get an idea of what I am going to get myself into.
    My brother in law ice climbs quite a bit, so I think that I am definitely NOT going to go solo on this one, but I'll have both husband and brother in law come with me.
    We won't be doing the climb until just a tad later in the season, though. Possibly mid to late June.