Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a toyo type (diesel/fuel oil ?) heater that will continue to run if power fails

Default Need a toyo type (diesel/fuel oil ?) heater that will continue to run if power fails

We are looking for an efficient heater as back up that will continue to run when the power is out.
    My inlaws had a fuel oil stove to heat their house that had a 12V deep cycle back up power source that would continue to function when the power was down. Normally it ran on 120V but would automatically switch over to the deep cycle when necessary.
    Any makes/models that you guys are aware of that would do this?
    Thanks,
    BK

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...stove-for-sale

Runs with electric or grid down. I don't see why it could not be plugged into 12v or 24v with inverter.

Thanks AGL, but I'll pass on that one.
    BK

Curious as to why, I ask as I am on the fence about selling it, maybe you are seeing something that I am not seeing........????

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Thanks AGL, but I'll pass on that one.
    BK

If you choose to feed the power through an inverter you may want to use a true sine wave inverter. I recall some guys having problems with modified sine inverters on Toyo stoves. You'll also need to figure out how many ignition cycles the stove will run on the battery you're considering. Maintenance power requirements are small but the ignition cycle on a Toyo requires more juice. My Efel stove is thermostatically controlled and uses no electricity. If you don't require a circulation fan it's a good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    We are looking for an efficient heater as back up that will continue to run when the power is out.
    My inlaws had a fuel oil stove to heat their house that had a 12V deep cycle back up power source that would continue to function when the power was down. Normally it ran on 120V but would automatically switch over to the deep cycle when necessary.
    Any makes/models that you guys are aware of that would do this?
    Thanks,
    BK
    The Woodway in Fairbanks has long carried an inverter/battery backup specifically for Monitor/Toyo type stoves. I don't have one, but often have wished I did. Sudden power interruptions are hard on the stoves.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Curious as to why, I ask as I am on the fence about selling it, maybe you are seeing something that I am not seeing........????

Not to put words in BK's mouth, but possibly one reason would be that it does not operate on a thermostat. So if it is on its minimum setting it will put out 20K Btu/hr whether you need it or not. (If I understand the literature correctly). That is great for some applications, but probably not for emergency backup heat.

If I am wrong on how it operates, please correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Price and style of stove. I am looking for a "Toyo or Monitor style" stove with a thermostat that has a blower on it.
    BK

Lightbulb

Check out Efel oil stoves . . have had one in my shop for years . . they are high-eficiency and need no electricity to run.

Mr. Pid,
    I am aware of the true sine wave issues as they warned me about it when I bought the Solar system, appreciate the advice though. Again, the battery back up is only to get through the day/night till we can fire up the generator when we realize the power is off. Otherwise it will run 99% of the time on normal 120v outlet in the house.
    Iofthetiga,
    Exactly the info i am pursuing, truly appreciate the info from everyone.

All I need is a simple stove that is economical to run with the ability to run on alternate energy source till the power comes back on. I think that fuel oil is the cheapest way to heat with this type of stove (in the Palmer area).
    Thanks,
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    If you choose to feed the power through an inverter you may want to use a true sine wave inverter. I recall some guys having problems with modified sine inverters on Toyo stoves. You'll also need to figure out how many ignition cycles the stove will run on the battery you're considering. Maintenance power requirements are small but the ignition cycle on a Toyo requires more juice. My Efel stove is thermostatically controlled and uses no electricity. If you don't require a circulation fan it's a good alternative.
    Check out Efel oil stoves . . have had one in my shop for years . . they are high-eficiency and need no electricity to run.

Is there a local Efel dealer?

Lightbulb

I don't know . . bought mine from A Fireplace Store in Sterling . . don't know whether Glen still carries them or not.

North Country Stoves got mine for me. The wholesaler was in Fairbanks.

I have a fuel oil monitor and tank just sitting around since i got N Gas. It's still hooked up but will sell if interested. Good stove never had problem.

Power,
    PM sent.
    BK

If you decide to go with a monitor remember that they are out of business so your replacement parts will have to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    If you decide to go with a monitor remember that they are out of business so your replacement parts will have to be used.
    The Fairbanks dealer has a pretty large supply of parts. I'm not worried about keeping my stoves running indefinitely.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

BK: I am trying to learn about stoves for later installation when my cabin is built, and was just looking on alaskaslist to see what was there- don't know if this is what you may be interested since it lists kerosene but I thought I would put it here for you to see...
    Ad Number: A312870
    Toyostove Laser 73 (Wasilla)
    Price : $1,300$ 1300.00
    E-mail : alaskanlynda@hotmail.com
    Telephone : 907-715-7521
    Toyostove Heating Systems
    Toyostove Laser 73 Kerosene Heating System
    All the comfort of a central heating system in one compact, room-sized unit.
    A laser vented heater is the perfect solution for those hard to heat rooms or areas - all too common in many homes today. This is especially true in older homes and those with additions where a central heating system is just not enough. Now every problem area can be made livable. A laser heater provides all the comfort and convenience of a central heating system in one small, efficient unit at a fraction of the cost. It is also ideal for heating summer homes, hunting camps, and is certified for installation in mobile homes and manufacturing housing.
    Used - includes drip pan and connections $1300. cash OBO

Either Toyo sold their own battery back-up, or somebody made one for them. It was many years ago I checked into them, but I know they're definitely out there.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Appreciate all the info and help.
    I'm still working on it as I don't have a solution yet.
    I confirmed the Monitor the inlaws had with a battery back-up had an inverter, guess I didn't see it when I was there.
    BK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast