Thread: Shrimp pot question

Default Shrimp pot question

So we were shrimping with friends, we have similar pots, shrimped the same shelf together, we even moved them around to just see, but they caught more shrimp, same bait same depth, the only thing I can think of is we have caught some octopus in our pot a few times this year, I have heard they leave a scent and shrimp will shy away from the pots, so anyone else heard of this and if so what do I wash my pots with to get rid of the scent?
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

I've never heard of an issue with scent, but I do know that strange differences can happen down there within the distance of only a few yards. Two years ago we pulled the best set of my life - crazy numbers of shrimp in every pot. We did our best to drop on the same spot again and were certainly within 20 yards at the surface. The next pull had zero shrimp - zero after many hundreds on the previous pull - and every pot was covered with 10-25 chrinoids. Weird.

Also have caught numerous Octi, don't think it makes a difference in catch rates on the next drop. My .02 cents anyway.
    BK

I've never seen any difference after dumping out a 8legger !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've never heard of an issue with scent, but I do know that strange differences can happen down there within the distance of only a few yards. Two years ago we pulled the best set of my life - crazy numbers of shrimp in every pot. We did our best to drop on the same spot again and were certainly within 20 yards at the surface. The next pull had zero shrimp - zero after many hundreds on the previous pull - and every pot was covered with 10-25 chrinoids. Weird.
    The commercial shrimpers down here swear that shrimp move... alot. They can pick up and move, and not return for several years. They also talk about the dog salmon run.. if the dogs are late, then the shrimp are really shallow feasting on their carcasses. If they are on time, the shrimp will be deep. Interesting stuff. I'm just getting started. 87 pots in the yard..

I recommend soaking them in salted water overnight to get the scent off........(sorry, couldn't resist)