Thread: relocating to AK

Default relocating to AK

** I also posted this in the "relocating" section since both areas may be productive for my needs **

Hi everyone,
    I lived in Juneau for a few years but had to move back south, I've been gone for 10 years now and its time to get back to AK.

ATM I own a successful power washing business that I need to sell before moving, this means I will need a job when I get up to AK. My short resume is USAF 86-90, corp. world from 90-2001, AK DFG 01-03, small business owner 03-13.

I have lived, hunted and fished all over the lower 48 plus Juneau and that is a part of my life I would like to find in my next career.

I would love to move my business up to AK but AFAIK, the weather will not permit it. My skills are customer relations, sales, marketing, management, everything related to owning a small business, including laborer.

Bass Pro and Cabelas are both opening stores in Anchorage in spring 2014 and there will be LOTS of people competing for those openings. There also seems to be a strong market for businesses relating to alternative power sources (solar, wind, wood) which I am interested in. I am open to all options.

Bottom line is this, I am too old to be job hopping, whoever I work for will get the same drive, dedication and loyalty from me that I put into my power washing business. I understand that the stronger the business is, the more secure my position will be.

Strong customer relations and high quality work are what grew and sustained my business for over ten years and I will gladly bring that skill set into any new position I am offered.

Thanks for your help

A person with a power washer can do OK in the SE for warmer weather money and something with a plow on front will take care of snow days living.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I dont see and "edit" button so I will repost repost here

Bass Pro and Cabelas are both opening stores in Anchorage in spring 2014 and there will be LOTS of people competing for those openings. There also seems to be a strong market for businesses relating to alternative power sources (solar, wind, wood) which I am interested in. Working for a guide or outfitter, outdoor sports store, gun store, fishing store or any alternative power source (as mentioned above) seems to be the most stable businesses I would like to work in and also go with my personal interests

Strong customer relations, high quality work and marketing are what grew and sustained my business for over ten years and whoever I work for will get the same drive, dedication and loyalty from me that I put into my power washing business. I understand that the stronger the business is, the more secure my position will be.

still looking for work or the opportunity to start a business or work with someone who is having trouble with their marketing and sales

Bump - Still looking

I'll be flying out for 4-5 weeks in sept./oct this year to look for work and plan on moving by the end of the year. Does anyone need help over the winter or preferably longer term??

Default Food for thought

Hi Chez,

I had never ventured into this particular forum. Have you stumbled onto the ALEXSYS website (on the State of Alaska website)? It has job listings across the state and you can use search filters to look into specific jobs in specific locations. In as near as I can tell based on the listings for my community (Dillingham) it's fairly complete and updated with regularity. Anyway, thought I'd toss that out in case you hadn't found it. Also, I don't know what other communities are like but DLG seems like it always has jobs.

Best of wishes.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Taxidermist View Post
    Hi Chez,

I had never ventured into this particular forum. Have you stumbled onto the ALEXSYS website (on the State of Alaska website)? It has job listings across the state and you can use search filters to look into specific jobs in specific locations. In as near as I can tell based on the listings for my community (Dillingham) it's fairly complete and updated with regularity. Anyway, thought I'd toss that out in case you hadn't found it. Also, I don't know what other communities are like but DLG seems like it always has jobs.

Best of wishes.

Terry
    Thanks Terry, I'll be heading up there in a few weeks and make the best of it. I used to work for AKDF&G, it was a secure job but very little chance of advancement. As a vet I will get an interview with the state for any position I apply for but I'm hoping to find something better.

Good luck.
    Currently the slope is laying off hundreds of guys who will be looking for work.
    It doesn't look good for the oilfield Jobs anyway.
    So much depends on your experience and skill set.
    That and many employers won't hire those who aren't already here.
    Good luck to you.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"