Thread: worms in ducks, ok to eat?

Default worms in ducks, ok to eat?

i shot a merganser(Iknow iknow, i wont do it again!) anyway there was a 1 1/2 inch long, flat worm/parasite in the guts of it, actually i found 3 or 4 smaller ones too, is it ok to eat or should i give it to my dogs?i already have it frozen and wrapped
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Well...I'm no expert...

I guess IN THEORY if you cook the meat to a high enough temperature, you'll kill the worms and it will be safe, but I'm not even sure I'd feed that to my dog.

BTW: tape worms make EXCELLENT diet supplements for weight loss. (Don't ask me how I know.)

If I wouldn't eat it myself for fear of parasites, I wouldn't give it to my dog either.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

As long as the internal temp of the meat is cooked to a temp of at least 150 degrees F, the parasites are a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    i shot a merganser(Iknow iknow, i wont do it again!)
    FFG, I hope you're being truthful when you say you won't do it again. Mergansers are not for consumption by humans or pets. The skinniest political prisoner in some Siberian rock crushing camp shouldn't eat one of those things.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I've seen long skinny white worms in the breast of many breeds of ducks at one time or another. I don't eat them. I think we talked on this subject sometime last year.

As far as Mergansers, they are fish eaters, which means I ain't eatin it. Yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    FFG, I hope you're being truthful when you say you won't do it again. Mergansers are not for consumption by humans or pets. The skinniest political prisoner in some Siberian rock crushing camp shouldn't eat one of those things.
    Im being honest, i started identifying all hard to tell ducks with binos before i scare them up and shoot (this is only possible when cursing back waters on a canoe, another times when just jump shooting or what ever, if its not obvious what that bird is, i don't shoot. Lessons learned.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.