Thread: Tanana River Access Points

Default Tanana River Access Points

What access points are there to the Tanana River between Delta Junction and Fairbanks?

Primarily, Big Delta, Shaw Creek, and Salcha.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I will be using a 19 ft Grumman so I do not need a formal boat launch. I just need a place that I can get the truck near the water with a reasonable haul to a "reasonable" bank.

There is a paved pullout at mile marker 313. Just south of there a few hundred yards is a place that I see many launch canoes and kayaks

The river is not far from the road. It's right next to the road just south of Harding Lake and before you get to Shaw Creek going south from Fairbanks. We put in there (near Shaw Creek) once with a rubber raft and floated to Fairbanks. The river is braided and fast and shallow in many spots so be careful. There's a trail back to the river just before Birch Lake also - right across from the DOT station. Check google earth if you can.