Thread: Desperate Need of Hornady Modified Case-300 Win Mag!! Help!

Exclamation Desperate Need of Hornady Modified Case-300 Win Mag!! Help!

Well, I have wanted to find time all summer to load some stuff for my 300 that Alaska Custom Firearms built for me...but as summers go around here I have been crazy busy with relatives visiting! So I get to it a couple nights ago and found that I am without a modified case for the 300 Win Mag for my Hornady case length gauge. I use it religiously when getting my depths right but I can't do anything right now. Does anyone have one they can loan me for a week or so, or if you have one your no longer in need of I would be happy to buy it?? No one has one in town, plus most of the internet big box stores are backordered forever so they are no help.
    Please shoot me a PM or respond here or text or call 907-242-3664 if you can help. Thanks.
    Mark

Do you have a tap and die set? You can make a modified case easy enough. Drill out the primer hole, then tap it with the right threads. Use a once fired round and it will be a more accurate measure than the modified hornady case anyways. Don't have to worry about screwing it up, you can make 2 or 3 pretty fast to get your technique down quicker than running around town finding then retrieving a case. Mine is custom, and would run the risk of not fitting your rifle.

Or, just load to SAMII spec.

Or, use the mark the dowel trick, look it up on the internet. I have never done it.

If you are well and truely screwed, PM me. I am in Anchorage and could might be able to help ya out.

Daved, thanks. I made a 25-06 one a few years back and it works fine. But I made it out of a 270 modified case which already had the threads. What are those threads by the way? I have an extensive tap and die set but those threads seem finer than most of what I have..?
    I could do SAAMI spec but I might as well go and buy $28 a box ammo and be done with it right? I'll check my taps and if I don't have the right one, then I am going to have to suck it up and buy one. Oh and that dowel trick sucks. I demand more precision than that affords.

5/16-36 taper or plug tap and apparently it is a difficult one to find but I don't have first hand knowledge of that fact. I looked on amazon and they have one for $11.06 Use a " L " size drill bit.

The suggestion is to use a lathe or drill press and a jig. I would think you could make it work using your die with the deprimer pulled, as you would if tapping for a stuck case. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hope that helps
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Alaskabliss, I had started looking up thread sizes for this before I saw this thread or your PM to me. I found a listing for UNF or in this case (UNEF)... (Extra Fine) and they list a 5/16-32, not a 36. I wanted to ask where you got your info from, or was that a typo? I wanted to make sure I wasn't searching for the wrong tap if I go that route versus buying a case. Thanks.

Alaska Industrial Hardware has many many tap &/or dies that you can buy singularly.

It's not a typo. All the searches I have done came up with the same, 5/16"-36. Long range hunting forum had a bunch of info. Google hornady modified case thread and it will bring it up. They said it was a hard one to find but I did find it on amazon. I also found that a 9/32" bit will work for drilling it out. I wasnt sure what size " L " was.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

It’s not that hard to find but it is a size you will not see at AIH. Best price on odd taps will be from Midway or Brownell’s, should be under $5 but will take some time to hunt it down the way they catalog their taps.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    Daved, thanks. I made a 25-06 one a few years back and it works fine. But I made it out of a 270 modified case which already had the threads. What are those threads by the way? I have an extensive tap and die set but those threads seem finer than most of what I have..?
    I could do SAAMI spec but I might as well go and buy $28 a box ammo and be done with it right? I'll check my taps and if I don't have the right one, then I am going to have to suck it up and buy one. Oh and that dowel trick sucks. I demand more precision than that affords.
    You'd probably get more precision with the dowell.

S W sells those modified cases. I dunno if they have 300 WM in stock.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Get a piece of 1/4" all-thread in fine thread and make the whole thing ( case and threaded rod) to match.

Go to the Hornady web site. You can send them two of your cases and they will make one for you for $15. They want two cases in case something goes wrong. Just got mine back in the mail three days ago.

I have a Hornady Modified case in 300 Win Mag if you want to borrow it, I work on JBER Mon-Fri , PM me and I can bring it in to work one day, let me know....

Chuck