Thread: Moose hunting on Palmerhay flats?

Default Moose hunting on Palmerhay flats?

It seems every time I hunt ducks at Palmer hay flats I see some real fresh moose sign and one time i saw some of the freshest moose sign an actual moose. was wondering if any one has hunted moose there with any kind of success.

Iv hunted it a little bit no success seen moose no legal its squishy everywere you go lots of bugs no four wheelers so its probaly oretty good hunting

When was the last time you hunted there? Were there any bulls? I hear that a lot of cows are out there.

I think it gets hit pretty hard opening day, so my best guess is the pickings would be slim (though I could be wrong). I had a friend who hunted it opening day five years ago and he said that he heard four sets of shots within the first hour, then nothing at all from there out. I saw a legal spike standing right next to the road two years ago during the early archery season, but I had the Unit 13 Tier I tag, so I couldn't chase him.

Yeah there usually is a couple forks around. They get whacked pretty quick though. This year looks like they got it durin archery season. Came across a couple kills that were fairly old while stomping around the knik bridge access

Also I'll add that most people hunting there are new hunters or at least ones that don't have a clue. I have seen guys stand in the middle of openings, use guns for binoculars, crashing through brush, heck I saw a guy make a fire at the edge of an opening while he sat there and glassed. Then most get bored and then just start shooting their guns.

Accessing them is difficult. I have chased a few bulls out there and after a couple hundred yards it becomes obvious the pack out would suck so I left them alone.
    BK

Archery hunters usually thin out the legal bulls pretty quick. Used to hunt this area regularly but as bkmail stated the recoveries were'nt pretty..... Have moved on to moosier (and drier) grounds.

I used to rabbit/bird hunt that area a lot until it went to crap. But about 4 years ago, I took a buddy in there with a cow tag. We saw several cows but they were all in the swamps. Not gonna do that pack out! So after seeing that all the moose were sticking to the high grounds as we were, we just stuck to that plan and found two really nice bulls bedded down by 0800. We took one and had a fairly miserable pack out for the rest of the day. But if you hunt there, find some high ground (as in not wet) and try to stick to it with a little swamp crossing here and there. Go early in the morning too. Good luck
    Anthony, I'll try to send ya a PM later tonight after I get to work and give ya a little helpful hints on where to start out at.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859