Thread: Complete Volvo Penta package 8.1 GFI / DP

Default Complete Volvo Penta package 8.1 GFI / DP

Does anyone know what a used complete 2007 Volvo Penta 8.1 GFI (375hp) with DP drive could sell for? The engine and drive have about 400 hrs on them. They run perfectly and use them every weekend. I am looking to repower with a diesel.

$8,500 that is what some guy in Juneau was selling his volvo 8.1 with duoprop for. I don't know if it sold though. You could unload it for $5k in a heart beat.

Sobie2

read this if your thinking about volvo diesels
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...000-hours.html

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Jeez! Changing out a perfectly running low hour gasser for diesel has to have a lot of benefits because it's a spendy proposition that fuel savings alone won't likely justify, particularly if you're running just weekends. I bought a new boat to get diesel set up the way I wanted (straight drive) and sold the old one. That may be a better option to consider.

Fish Witch is dead on. Mind you I have twin volvo's and love them. They work great, but sometimes I do have some minor stuff happen, but no different then any other IB... IMO.

and I don't want to go against what Steve said, but everyone has different applications and uses so it just depends, but I really do like my TAMD 31P's and have put about 650 hours on them in the past 5 years.

secondly back to fish witch's question, why swap it out now? Unless your buying a new (stolen) diesel, your looking at 30k to 40k installed (complete). Slightly less if your doing the work.

I don't know but I would think twice...
    Tony

What diesel are you looking at repowering with? I have a D6 (the same as in the hull truth article, but a 370 instead of the 435). So far I love mine, but I would agree with the comments that a repower would be a personal decision not an economic one. Benefits would be more range, safer (gas vs. diesel) and less fuel cost per trip, but it will never make up for the cost of the repower IMO. Interesting read on the hull truth article, but I would be surprised of any of us would run an engine anywhere near that hard. I usually run down at 2700 rpm. That guy was running lots of hours at 3300 with a 3500 rpm redline, and then he admitted that he had to reprop, so maybe he was running close to full throttle all the time.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Fish Witch is dead on. Mind you I have twin volvo's and love them. They work great, but sometimes I do have some minor stuff happen, but no different then any other IB... IMO.

and I don't want to go against what Steve said, but everyone has different applications and uses so it just depends, but I really do like my TAMD 31P's and have put about 650 hours on them in the past 5 years.

secondly back to fish witch's question, why swap it out now? Unless your buying a new (stolen) diesel, your looking at 30k to 40k installed (complete). Slightly less if your doing the work.

I don't know but I would think twice...
    Your 31's should be ok with 120 hours a year on them !!! I used to never shut mine down for DAYS and i'd put 800-1000 hours on it in a summer, i had 11,000 hours on my outdrive, used it on 2 motors, when i sold the bowpicker.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692