Thread: Cabin hunt

Default Cabin hunt

We had a great hunt at my buddies cabin for the opener and I'm planning on heading back on Friday September 13th (6am flight) and back on Sunday 15th (5pm flight). My two buddies who joined me for opening day can't make these dates, my son and his wife just welcomed our new grandson into the world and everyone else I know either can't get the time off work (what is up with that??) or has other commitments. So here is the deal. The cost of the Beaver flight is $1090-which would be split either two or three ways. The cabin sleeps four but three is much more comforable so I want to limit the trip to three. I have the dog, decoys and some knowlege of the area. Most likely we would be hunting over decoys on the ponds near the cabin-which can be reached by either walking, wading or with my Zodiac. I've only hunted this area during openers which have always been fantastic. My buddy-whose Dad built the cabin back in the 60's-said that hunting after the opener is hit or miss depending on whether or not new birds have been pushed down. The cabin rules are: No smoking, no heavy drinking and clean up the place before you leave. The cabin is nothing fancy but it's dry, has four bunks and has a propane stove/lilghts and all the cooking gear. While this hunt isn't an Ironman you need to be in good shape to haul the gear from the edge of the lake to the cabin and to haul gear out to the hunting sites and back. It would be great if a father & son or if a vet or two would like to join me. You will need to have the basic duck hunting gear and some experience waterfowl hunting. If you have a well behaved/trained dog they would be welcome too. PM me if you are interested. I was going to put this on the "Take me hunting" but it doesn't appear that anyone is using or looking at that page. Thanks
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I would love to jump on this but I planned a moose hunt for that weekend. This sounds like such an awesome adventure.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I would love to jump on this but I planned a moose hunt for that weekend. This sounds like such an awesome adventure.
    It's been a great trip every time I've been able to go. I forgot to mention that the cabin is located on a lake on the Susitna Flats.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    It's been a great trip every time I've been able to go. I forgot to mention that the cabin is located on a lake on the Susitna Flats.

I'd be all over it if we weren't in Hawaii from the 7th - 14th. Someone needs to get on this...

Well I've had a few folks PM me who said they would like to go but just can't make those dates. Gotta admit I'm a bit surprised at the lack of response on this one-especially after all the complaints about hunting areas being crowded. This hunt-even on opening day-is definately not crowded and after opening we'll have our pick of areas to hunt. At any rate, if I don't have someone definate by Saturday I'll need to either call the charter folks and cancel the trip or just make plans for Ruby and me heading out. Thanks for the PMs that I did get regarding this trip and as always I appreciate the folks who make this forum possible.

dave

One thing I forgot. If there are only two of us then we could take the 206 which is $730/2=$365 each

Banned

Maybe you forgot that flying in AK is 4 times more dangerous than the 48 (see recent crash articles in ADN) and expensive? If you know your stuff Mat-su is just as good (in fact we will be getting some of the same birds) and a lot less hassle. (for every crash reported, there are 3 near misses not reported as you have a lot of wanna-be bush pilots both with their own planes and hired. P.S I have flown in small planes over a lot of the state.

Appreciate all the input. I was able to find another waterfowler to join me. This will make my wife very happy as she wasn't thrilled about me heading out alone. Stay safe.

Ended up with three of us heading over to the duck shack. Had a great time with enough ducks to keep my lab busy and was forutnate enough to add a crane to the mix. Should have gotten some geese but we were just in the right place at the wrong time.....There are two of us heading back over next Friday coming back on Sunday afternoon. See the previous threads for details. We'll definately be firing up the woodstove this trip. Hopefully with some cooler temps up north some new birds will be pushed down. Would be good if someone with a well trained dog could join us since having just one dog ended up with quite a few blind retrieves. She performed just fine but was one worn out doggie by the time we got on the plane for the flight home.... At any rate dog or not, PM me if you are interested. Again a vet or father son would be great.

Got back last evening after threee days of great hunting. Ruby didn't want to move last night except for eating... I'm a bit sore too.... Attachment 74201