Thread: A few question before moving.

Default A few question before moving.

My family and I will be moving to Alaska in the future. I don't want to call it "off the grid" for Alaskan bush style but I guess it would be that for central Illinois. Regardless the plan is to use solar and wind power for electric, rain and/or rain collection system, wood stove for heat, growing big gardens and livestock (rabbits, chickens, and goats). we currently have a few breeder rabbits I raise naturally already here and about 30 chickens. I will be experimenting with goat in the next year. I already preserve and can my own vegetables. So far the location we are looking into is Anchor Point, however we still have to visit the area. Ive only read about it thus far. We would like to live "country style" with around 10 acres but still close to a smaller town to be able to hit the store with items we cant provide. While still being able to get to Anchorage and back within a days drive for maybe a weekend trip or something. Sorry about that I felt the need to give the intro. Now this would be a 10 to 15 year plan after I get out of college (Im 26 and I have 3 years left). However Im going to school for crop science which here crops are big time, I would love to move there sooner but the first cost with buying property and the move with a couple years money just incase we couldn't find jobs or something prevents the move to being several years. However if I could find a job then all I would worry about is money for the move and we would rent until we felt is the right time for the first plan. Now the questions, is there companies in Alaska that deal with crops? Like a Sargenta? Also what are some good books about raising livestock in Alaska, gardening, etc.? How would you feed livestock during winter cheaply, here we change from natural to grain/pellet and hay during winter. I thought about growing hay but I can only assume grain/pellets aren't cheap. We will be moving it just depends on Plan A or Plan B as to how long it will be. I have already been to Alaska a few years ago and I have loved it ever since. I will be researching for several years before making the move I just would like some ideas from others to help us out. thank you

I'm sorry Syngenta not Sargenta! Computer changed it on me.

Welcome to Outdoors Directory, and to Alaska!

A few resources from our bookstore that might be of some use-

The Alaska Homesteader's Handbook

The Backyard Homestead

Alaska Gardening Guide

Plants that we Eat

The Alaska Gardener's Handbook

Alaska's Wilderness Medicines

You might also check out the remaining Alaska Living Forums here (the section where you're posting), which contain fora on Cabins and Remote living, Recipes, Gardening, Domestic Stock and Wildlife. Tons of great info in there from folks who live here in Alaska and are actually doing it.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thank you very much for the list I've looked on amazon but it was hard to pin point which ones were books worth my time and money. I didn't realize this site had books looks like I need to look further into the site. I believe these books will answer most if my concerns. I'll start collecting them and studying between my classes currently. Now if I could see if there aren't jobs involving my future degree. So I can get up there sooner!!

Check with the cooperative extension website and phone them as well.
    All this is FREE and current info.
    Might also pursue the University of Alaska Fairbanks website for more info, again, FREE.
    BK

Ok did think of that! Now if I call from lower states to Alaska that's not international is it? Sorry maybe a goofy question, cell phone companies get you for every penny. Lol

No, were still part of the US, no we don't live in igloos either.....but if it will slow down the tourists, please spread the word that we do!
    BK

Buhahaha I'll be sure to spread the word. I'm sure the "Alaskan" shows don't help ya out either. People around here thing we are crazy wanting to move there. I keep telling them its not "wanting" its we are! Just have to get our stuff together before hand.

10 acres of good dry land, with road access and southern exposure, will probably run ya about $60-100K around here, and the prices are likely to go up if the economy improves.....building materials are quite expensive as well.....here's some current local feed prices: http://kenai.craigslist.org/grd/4032545117.html Good luck!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I was expecting 200-250k after researching homes and that's high siding it. im roughly thinking for retirement plan that we would have to save up 400k for land, moving, and couple years money until we can find a way to supplement or earn income (which I would like to have at least an idea before moving). but ill take a look at your link. thank you