Thread: Waterfowl Newcomer

Default Waterfowl Newcomer

Alright I am really wanting to start duck hunting once again. I have never done it up here in Alaska but really want to give it a shot. I am not looking for any specific locations but a good starting point. Where should someone like myself possibly go in Anchorage, Palmer or Sutton area?

Also does anyone know if there is any good waterfowl hunting on the base?

Ive not heard good things about waterfowl on base. Lots of people who have easy access and the habitat isn't as good as some other areas. That doesn't mean they aren't there though. The base wild life officer can help point you in the right direction. Do a quick read through some of the threads here as to some info on where to start hunting.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Grab a gun.. Drive to the end of knik goose bay road.. Big marsh out there.. and ponds to jump shoot.. Also run out to reflection lake in the valley..and walk the edge of the river toward town.. Heard there are some out in those parts.. Pass shooting as well on some of the little creeks running off of it..

On base.. Most of the ponds and lakes will hd birds.. But you will need a dog or boat to get them if shot.. Lots of flooded grass. You can hunt them.. But ck on training and rules/regs with animal control officer first. Good luck

don't want to give out to much info but the end of kgb is a very good start as it isn't to big, there is a flight path you just got to get in it which over a few trips you will see. today was loaded with snows and Canadians. only problem is they were not comeing anywere near me. very light decoy set up and playing with your calls will provide great success to the person who is willing to put out the labor. im in the same boat just that this is my third season just no one to teach me anything other then this sight. first thing is first though , go pattern your shotgun with the shells you are going to use so you know your range. I felt like the dumbest dude around for awhile until I found that I couldn't hit a semi at 10 ft with my first set up. every gun, choke, and shells do totally different things.