Thread: What Gives? Low Water Pressure in Whittier

Default What Gives? Low Water Pressure in Whittier

Has anyone notice that the water pressure at the fresh water flush station at the harbor is getting worse by the week? I had to use 2 hoses and still did not have enough pressure to flush my engine last weekend. Went to talk to the Harbor Master and the response was that this happens intermittently and some muttering about how they are going to start charging and metering the water next year. I'm curious if partially closing off the water main valve is a Whittier solution to decreasing water usage or to discourage flushing? Maybe they do have a serious water issue but the 1st half or the season there was more than adequate water pressure at each hose. The thought of paying an additional fee to flush when my understanding is that it is a EPA regulation to flush your engine/bilge before trailering to other bodies of water seems unfair and another shady money grab. Is flushing your engine not paid for or included in your launch fees?

No such flushing stations in Haines or Wrangell
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

No flushing stations at the ramps in Juneau either. I'm perhaps embarrassed to say that I've never heard of an EPA requirement to flush your engine and bilge before trailering to another body of water - can anyone point me to the law?

I did a quick search and found the Clean Boating Act, which is somehow tied into the Clean Water Act. The CBA is from EPA, and enforced by the U.S. Coast Guard. In what little time that I searched, I didn't see anything about a requirement to flush motors/bilges between bodies of water. My guess is that the CBA that has to do with bilges is that you can't discharge oily bilge water into the ocean. But maybe someone knows and will post.

I hope this a rumor (charging for water that is). Of all the BS they charge us for, this one would be the icing on the cake.
    BK

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

No flushing stations in Seward that I know of. I always flush the motors at home, no matter where I launch/recover.

Pulled out at around midnight Sunday and was able to flush my engine AFTER I removed 4 kinks in the hose and wrapped 3 major leaks in the hose :-). Until wrapping all the leaks, I had very little water actually making it to my engine. I always flush my engine at the wash down rack as I leave the boat there for the summer - flushing at home is not an option.

We usually bring our own hose due to the poor conditions Lone Wolf mentioned above. Even if the hose is delivering water, often times the end has been run over (ovaled or squashed) and no longer screws on to the adaptor on the motor.
    Thanks for patching it up Lone Wolf.
    BK

In think someone may be confusing some states in the lower 48 as well as the Great Lakes Region that have Zebra Mussles and exotic species to worry about. They have inspection stations at many fresh water docks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    No flushing stations in Seward that I know of. I always flush the motors at home, no matter where I launch/recover.
    The carwash has a hose that people use.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    The carwash has a hose that people use.
    True, but the point that was raised was that the use of the flushing station is a benefit of paying the launch fee. The car wash in Seward is clearly unassociated with the launch facilities. You could do the same at a full hook-up campground, but that's irrelevant as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I hope this a rumor (charging for water that is). Of all the BS they charge us for, this one would be the icing on the cake.
    BK
    Pump out station used to be free.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Pump out station used to be free.
    Pump out station...Whittier has one of those?

That's what I don't understand, should the Harbor Master's Office not be fostering responsible boating? In the Seattle area pump out stations are free and you are required by the Coast Guard to lock/seal your Y-valve so you can not discharge your black water into the ocean, pump out costs are figured into the launch/slip fees. From what I understand you are also required to flush out your engine/bilge before you enter another body of water. Is that not just the responsible thing to do anyway so you don't spread invasive's? Alaskan's probably thought we were immune to Whirling disease in our fresh water fish at one time as well...I'm digressing but I think the potential of charging a fee for flushing your engine in addition to your launch fee is more than a rumor when it's coming directly from the Harbor Master Office. For those of us who keep our boats there all summer there are no other flush out options that I'm aware of. I'm getting tired of getting nickeled and dimed, next thing we'll see is pay toilets..oh that's right, they want us to just do our business in the harbor.

Coming to a harbor near you !!!
    images.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692