Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Raft Connection

Default Alaska Raft Connection

All, I just wanted to give a shout out to Brian and Alaska Raft Connection. Last night as I was doing a final check of gear/equipment for my float hunt, I found my raft had a slow leak in the floor. Most likely I could have made it through the trip by just topping the air off each time we floated, but I thought why not call and see if I could get it looked at, and oh by the way, I leave on Thurs. I called Brian, explained the problem, and he said to bring it over. I did and he found a faulty pressure relief valve. After discussing the kind of conditions on the river I am floating, he fixed it for me to get me through the hunt, then wouldn't take a dime after he spent about 45 minutes examining my raft. Additionally, he looked over some of my gear, adjusted a few things properly, and gave me a few tips on other items. I'll take the raft back after the hunt to get the valve replaced and do some other work. Brian, thanks again for the help!!! Moose44

Brian is a outstanding guy. I have delt with him before plus I bought my canoe from him also. He will go out of his way to help you which goes a long way in my book.

I've never used his services, but have heard good reports from his customers.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Moose44, well said. Brian is as solid of a river runner as I've met, a legit business guy, and a cool dude to help you out when you're in a bind.

-Josh

I can also vouch for Brian as he had helped me out of a bind a time or two. As knowledgeable of a rafting guy as you'll find and no matter how busy he is, he will always stop what he's doing to give advice, look for a silly little part you need or whatever. I highly recommend the guy without reservation.

Had a great float trip due to his help and he keeps top notch gear as well! He's definitely the man to talk to on float trips! Very honest good fella!

Quote Originally Posted by PatternsFull View Post
    Had a great float trip due to his help and he keeps top notch gear as well! He's definitely the man to talk to on float trips! Very honest good fella!
    What boats did you use on your float? Brands and types? Any comments on the boats themselves?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Yep used a 15' Saturn raft and a 14'6 Saturn raft from Alaska raft connection. Great rafts worked perfect. 15' got hard to steer with the load in it including game and gear and 2 guys but still rode higher than I thought it would in the water. Went down some pretty swift water and no problems at all. Only complaint I had was all the planes to get it all out there. I like lighter gear and was wanting to cut some weights if possible

Quote Originally Posted by PatternsFull View Post
    Yep used a 15' Saturn raft and a 14'6 Saturn raft from Alaska raft connection. Great rafts worked perfect. 15' got hard to steer with the load in it including game and gear and 2 guys but still rode higher than I thought it would in the water. Went down some pretty swift water and no problems at all. Only complaint I had was all the planes to get it all out there. I like lighter gear and was wanting to cut some weights if possible
    What were the weights on the boats? I did not realize he was using Saturn in the rental pool (I thought he had SOTAR for some reason...). The boats worked out great, sounds like. Were they newer boats? What kind of frames did you use?

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    What were the weights on the boats? I did not realize he was using Saturn in the rental pool (I thought he had SOTAR for some reason...). The boats worked out great, sounds like. Were they newer boats? What kind of frames did you use?

-Mike
    Worked out great. Think round 200 lbs. aluminium frames. In like new shape.

Here is a pic of my canoe from Alaska Raft Connection. It's the green one and Brian is a great guy to deal with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great pic! U get the full moose in those things or did you use a pack raft? Looks like a heck of a hunt u had! We're they the 12' ones?

We each had our gear and full moose/bear in each canoe. The canoes are 16' long. Here is some pics of the canoe by its self.

Here is pic of a different hunt

You can see in the one pic with me floating down the river how it rides in the water loaded with gear and whole moose. There is another bull 30" in my buddies blue canoe ( Pro Pioneer ). I would not suggest doing it but on that hunt at one time it was me, my hunting partner and both moose in my canoe. We floated them back down river to our camp.

Man that thing rode good with all that weight! Impressive! Think it would handle swift water? Could you still steer it? You don't happen to remember the full weight of the cape all deflated with paddles?

What is the brand of that green canoe?

PatternsFull....It will handle swift water fine. In that pic with me floating, I ran numerous sections of CLS III rapids without any problem and never felt nervous. I built that row frame so I could use oars instead of paddles and it responds very well to steering with the oars. If I remember right the canoe with carry bag, netting, pump and repair kit weighted around 84 lbs, so with row frame and oars I would think around 100 lbs. I am not positive on the weights because I have only weighted it one time but have flown it in several bush planes.

Brian in AK....I bought my canoe from Brian at Alaska Raft Connection and I think it was a proto type canoe that he had some made. It does not have any type of name on it. We can call it " The Mean Green Machine ". :-)) Seriously maybe Brian could answer that question for you. I would not hesitate to buy another one from him. Also I have had that canoe thrown out of a plane to me as it flew by me on the ground. That will make you nervous watching it fall and bounce off the ground.

Thanks 450! Appreciate the info and congrats a on the hunt!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

-Mike

I haven't been in to see Brian for a couple of years because I haven't really needed anything but last time I was there he had a huge variety of gear (sotar, aire, etc.)
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast