Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deshka Emergency Order

Default Deshka Emergency Order

For your holiday weekend enjoyment. The change doesn't take effect until FRIDAY!!!!

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...eshka%20EO.pdf

That will certainly increase the crowds!

Gas in Wasilla is now $3.05 Fill up in Anchorage!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Cheap

That is cheap. $3.50 over here.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I love to fish, but it is getting harder to justify putting that kind of money in boat gas.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default 24 Hour Opening - good or bad

Does everyone think the 24 hour opening is a good thing? Back in the day when it opened at 6 AM, you could HAMMER them and usually get your boat limit in no time. Fish would stack up all night without being molested. Now the fish seem harder to catch to me. Anyone else experience this? I say leave it at 2 fish and keep the 11-6 closure. That 6 AM opener is like the opening day of deer season, the anticipation was the best part.

Gooch

In the past, you will find that the "fair weather" angler will not stay all night long. The crowd is also less.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Ya it does make for more poeple but for the last several year they have done the same thing in June. Ill be on the deska with the family not so much for the fishing but there to watch the show

Ill be on the deska with the family not so much for the fishing but there to watch the show
    And if you look at it like this, its not anymore expensive than taking the family to a movie only this can be an all day affair

No I don't agree with the excessive fees for launching either

I think every one of you who gripes about the Deshka Landing should go run out of the Susitna Landing for a year or two. When the Deshka Landing first opened and the road was little more than a twisty narrow goat trail almost every boater marvelled at the convenience and safety of a launch so close to a big water channel. No more navigating the shallow braids into the Su Landing. Forget about the fact that we broke trailers on the road a few times every season. Or waited for lines since the launce opened up the lower Su to boats that couldn't dream of going out of the Su Landing.

Now? Wide launch. Paved road. Secured yard. Plenty of parking space. Fuel on site. A convenience store for your....convenience. You should be hugging yourselves at what a value the Deshka Landing offers you. Disagree? Head to the Susitna Landing and spend that extra $100 per outing on gas alone. No store, no fuel. Parking shouldn't be an issue because you may be the only one there. But the launch fee is cheaper...right?

And I believe the boat ramp at Ship Creek is still free. There's yet another option for you.

Mr.Pid

Not to start anything because I use both landing Susitna for bear baiting and the Deska the rest of the season. The susitna landing does have fuel and a store and is a secured area with a gate.

Cool. It's been a long time since I used it. In a lot of ways I miss those days.

Thanks for the correction. That should make the Su Landing even more attractive to the guys who are fed up with the Deshka Landing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Cool. It's been a long time since I used it. In a lot of ways I miss those days.

Thanks for the correction. That should make the Su Landing even more attractive to the guys who are fed up with the Deshka Landing!
    Obviously each landing has it's own amenities and is better in some way or another. What a lot of people don't realize, is that Susitna Landing costs the taxpayers millions of dollars to operate each year. I think this year it is in excess of 1.2M. It is a state of Alaska entity, and is good for reaching places like Rabideau Creek, a few backwater sloughs, Montana Creek, Sheep Creek, Caswell Creek and the few clear water tributaries between the Parks Hwy bridge and Talkeetna.
    On the other hand, Deshka Landing is owned and operated by Alaskans, each with the same Outdoor Addictions as those reading these forums. And; They actually PAY the State Of Alaska, MatSu Bor and the good ole USofA tax dollars to feed their addiction. Oh yeah, they also employ a good number of Alaskans, sorta helps the local economy, rather than them being on public assistance. It is simply the best option for launching, if you truly want to experience the southern reaches of the Big Su, Deshka, Alexander, Lake Creek, Moose Creek, Indian Riv, Fish Lakes Creek, Willow, Yentna Riv, Donkey Creek, Whiskey Lake, Talchulitna and others too many list.
    Lots of choices out there, so no-one should consider others complaints as having any validity what-so-ever. Do you want to support the state beauracrats or private enterprise? Choice is left up to the individual, as it should be. And as most business' go, I'll bet the Deshka Landing would rather the chronic complainers would choose the other places, just so they don't ruin others experiences with their negative attitudes.

Thumbs down Deshka Landing Monopoly?

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Lots of choices out there, so no-one should consider others complaints as having any validity what-so-ever. Do you want to support the state beauracrats or private enterprise? Choice is left up to the individual, as it should be. And as most business' go, I'll bet the Deshka Landing would rather the chronic complainers would choose the other places, just so they don't ruin others experiences with their negative attitudes.
    Sounds like you are a member of Deshka Landing LLC!

I am all for private business and such. But I do not believe access to our Natural Resources should be limited to only private businesses. The State has an "obligation" to Alaskans to make sure we have access. If a boat launch is placed at Willow creek and this would give Alaskan's access to a Natural Resource, then that is an appropriate use of government funds.

What ticks me off is when our elected officials are lobbied by Deshka Landing LLC so they can be the "only game" in town and basically places a monopoly on my access. I would rather pay a small fee (smaller than Deshka Landing) to maintain a state launch facility, which in turn is used to support other development for campgrounds, boat launches etc., than to be held hostage by a private business who believes they should have special rights and hold a monopoly on access.

I also believe Susitna Landing is privately owned too. Could be wrong as I have never used it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

So since it appears I am a whiner I'll say this. I don't mind spending good money for good service. What I get at the Deshka landing is long lines (because they aren't managing the launch) and poor landing conditions (south bank falling apart). I go there to launch my boat and that is it. I don't care about all the other stuff they have to make money with but what I am paying for is sub par. But as you stated what choice do I have! Ah.....smell that salt water?

Even salt water is starting to get unreachable at $3.05 a gal for fuel at which I burn at 8 to 10 gal an hour!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    So since it appears I am a whiner I'll say this. I don't mind spending good money for good service. What I get at the Deshka landing is long lines (because they aren't managing the launch) and poor landing conditions (south bank falling apart). I go there to launch my boat and that is it. I don't care about all the other stuff they have to make money with but what I am paying for is sub par. But as you stated what choice do I have! Ah.....smell that salt water?
    Ah.....Salt......yes. And what is the current price of a tractor launch at Ninilchick? I think $50 rings a bell, and then you have to pay for parking or walk the mile to the top of the little hill. Or other options are paying transient fees at any one of the small boat harbors in the coastal towns. Oh, and don't each of the coastal communities now charge to park on a daily or hourly basis? Sorta makes the inland waterways seem like a bargain to me. Most of the long lines I have experienced at any one of the dozens of boat launches I have used, have all been a direct result of inexperienced individuals, trying to back up, leaving plugs out, not untying nor prepping their boat, boat fails to start, etc. Mostly people problems and no fault of the facilities.

How ever you want to look at it. Seems like it was $5 to launch in Seward and they have the best facilities bar none! There is obviously no point in explaining or discussing it anything further.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Do any of you favor boycotting the local businesses in the Ninilchick, Cooper Landing and Hope areas, thereby making a bold statement of your displeasure in the Federal Rulings that give them preference to our fish and game? I certainly do. I will not support their lifestyles or desires with my money. That is not to say, that I will not continue to enjoy what few opportunities in those areas are afforded to me. Disgusting deal here, what these folks want. They want your money and preferential treatment also. I say boycott the businesses and make them feel the "real need" to subsist.

Well that explains alot! You have a bad taste in your mouth. I guess it's not ok for anyone else to vent a little. Boycotts, man I wasn't even going there.

Default Boy oh Boy

Guess no body remembers the 70's when there was no real road to any of it. But boy did we have fun and never heard a single complaint ?

Default Deshka Landing

I don't mind paying the price for use of the facility. They have a service that I need and willing to pay for. I do expect them to upgrade the facility and take better care of the customers. I don't like being treated like they are doing me a favor. I paid hard earned money for the use of the facility and I expect decent service in return. Much work needs to be put into the ramp, retaining wall etc... I do understand the demands put on them at peak season and you will wait wherever you launch. The launch at Willow would have only been a good thing bringing in much needed competition to the market. I do know for a fact that the DLOA did lobby our representatives to get it brought to a halt and looks like they have prevailed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast