Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Close the setnetters! We need shrimp bait!"

Default "Close the setnetters! We need shrimp bait!"

Case number: AK13066314
    Type: Personal Use Shellfish Gear No Biodegradable, Use Sport King Salmon as Bait.
    Text: On 8/31/13 Alaska Wildlife Troopers, Sitka Post inspected gear in the

Peril Strait area. Investigation revealed multiple pots being fished by *** * ******, age 67, of Anchorage did not comply with biodegradable escape mechanism
    requirements, and that ****** was using edible portions of King Salmon as crab bait.
    ****** was cited for one count of no biodegradable escape mechanism, with bail set
    at $110. He was additionally issued a summons to appear in Sitka District Court on
    the charge of using sport caught king salmon as bait.

Author: TBH9
    Received Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:03 AM and posted Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:17 AM

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispa...3.20130903.txt

I am not into digging up dirt on people, and if it was something unrelated I would not have posted this, however given the subject ... Oh, the irony!
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-03-2013 at 23:01. Reason: forum rules regarding trooper dispatch posts

Is this THE *** ******? Penney's Puppet?
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-03-2013 at 23:02. Reason: forum rules

Word on the street is this is past Board of Fish member and past Anchorage Assembly member Dan Coffey - age and resident location fit. I think tbsmith says irony because Mr. Coffey was speaking about the value of Kenai River chinook as such a prized fish and yet he is charged with using edible chinook salmon for bait. Certainly raises all types of questions. He should have known the regulations on both charges. This is standard operating procedure in S.E.

public information

look here http://deckboss-thebrig.blogspot.com/

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Even if the bait issue was a simple mistake. Like he left a little too much meat on a carcass he intended to use for bait or something like that there is the other issue too.
    No rotton cotton escape mechanism! That is not excusable for anyone and not a simple mistake.
    Whenever I have used salmon carcasses for crab bait there was never much meat left at all. I just used more of them and they worked just fine.
    There never was a need to use the actual meat of the carcass.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default other busts..

If you read on down in the blog, there are two accounts of out of state commercial fishermen getting busted with illegal catches. Obviously those commercial fishermen should know better.

No excuses for Dan, but if we want to throw rocks, let us also address the catching of mass numbers of salmon illegally, not just the misuse of part of one fish and the lack of a small piece of cottom twine.

Always good to look at the big picture - not just one small piece that some want to make an example of something.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    public information

look here http://deckboss-thebrig.blogspot.com/
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    If you read on down in the blog, there are two accounts of out of state commercial fishermen getting busted with illegal catches. Obviously those commercial fishermen should know better.

No excuses for Dan, but if we want to throw rocks, let us also address the catching of mass numbers of salmon illegally, not just the misuse of part of one fish and the lack of a small piece of cottom twine.

Always good to look at the big picture - not just one small piece that some want to make an example of something.
    Tvfinak, this is not about some commercial fisherman. It is about a past Board of Fish chairman, potential mayor candidate for Anchorage, and leader of a new group on Kenai River King Salmon Conservation. If one took your attitude no public official would ever be held accountable. After all the society as a whole commits all types of crimes so why hold a Senator or Representative to a different standard - because they are public figures who run and represent themselves as ethical individuals deserving of our support and public trust. However, until he is proven or pleads guilty he must be presumed to be innocent.

Just like the Webster thing and the eavesdropping thing, this incident helps illustrate the level of hypocrisy present in this group of elites who have attempted to control the dialogue in the UCI fish allocation discussion for decades. So, when a member of this group - this "Conservation Alliance" writes an article full of Crocodile Tears over low abundance of King Salmon, and days later gets caught using the very same fish for BAIT, I think it qualifies as "big picture".

Fire in one hand, water in the other...

If you put a king salmon carcass in the shrimp pot, with the belly meat still attached, the violation would read as it does above. Just like very sportfishermen who uses king/coho salmon belly for shrimp/crab/halibut bait.. Can't use belly meat.

So, before you guys start firing shots, realize that it could have just been a belly, and not an actual king salmon fillet. Rotton Cotton is an easy one to miss too, for a beginning shrimper. Rather common violation.

Fair enough.

Still funny though

Default not about...

No, it is not about commercial fishermen - it all about making a lot to do about a minor offense and hanging Dan while ignoring much more important violations by others that the ones with the pitchforks and torches support.

I'll also bet that a lot of those that are after Dan are more than willing to ignore the sins of their favorite big shot politicians in Washington that have totally lost all credibility with much of America. I bet it won't take much digging to come up with some minor violations on almost any public figure you care to chose from either side.

If you want to hang individual Dan for a very minor offense then let's really crack down on those that catch thousands of pounds of fish illegally - or is that no big deal to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Tvfinak, this is not about some commercial fisherman. It is about a past Board of Fish chairman, potential mayor candidate for Anchorage, and leader of a new group on Kenai River King Salmon Conservation. If one took your attitude no public official would ever be held accountable. After all the society as a whole commits all types of crimes so why hold a Senator or Representative to a different standard - because they are public figures who run and represent themselves as ethical individuals deserving of our support and public trust. However, until he is proven or pleads guilty he must be presumed to be innocent.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Rotton Cotton is an easy one to miss too, for a beginning shrimper. Rather common violation.
    I call BS. I've never been anything but a beginning shrimper, and I never missed it. It's CLEARLY spelled out in the regs, in simple, easy to understand language.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I call BS. I've never been anything but a beginning shrimper, and I never missed it. It's CLEARLY spelled out in the regs, in simple, easy to understand language.
    I can think of a whole lot of ways a guy can miss that one, or not understand what they are supposed to do. Lots of very law abiding, smart individuals get caught for the rotten cotton reg. Given he's from Anchorage, and he was shrimping down in Peril Straights out of Sitka, it would easy to connect that dots and see that he probably stuck his buoy on a buddies or a guides pots and got pinched for assuming they are legal when they were not. Who knows though. Still trying to figure out why this rates a thread on the management forum. Very minor infractions that mean nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I can think of a whole lot of ways a guy can miss that one, or not understand what they are supposed to do. Lots of very law abiding, smart individuals get caught for the rotten cotton reg. Given he's from Anchorage, and he was shrimping down in Peril Straights out of Sitka, it would easy to connect that dots and see that he probably stuck his buoy on a buddies or a guides pots and got pinched for assuming they are legal when they were not. Who knows though. Still trying to figure out why this rates a thread on the management forum. Very minor infractions that mean nothing.
    Lots and lots of threads these days about lots of guys incurring "minor infractions that mean nothing"; lots of making excuses and inventing hypothetical scenarios as to why one guy or another didn't follow the regs and got burned;... Lots of bad mouthing law enforcement; lots of complaining about how impossible it is to understand regulations; lots of sophomoric whining that makes it sound like Alaska is populated by nothing but "sovereign citizen", illiterate knuckle draggers, who cant seem to find it within themselves, for one reason or another, to follow the law. It's becoming embarrassing to be known as an "Alaskan" anymore.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

. It's becoming embarrassing to be known as an "Alaskan" anymore.
    Bye bye then

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Bye bye then
    FAIL. Not the way it works, pal.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Tvfinak, this is not about some commercial fisherman. It is about a past Board of Fish chairman, potential mayor candidate for Anchorage, and leader of a new group on Kenai River King Salmon Conservation. t.
    Seiner nets $4K fine, forfeits 13,660-pound catch

From the Alaska State Troopers:

Type: Sentencing
    On 7/30/13 ***** *******, 37, of Warm Springs, Ore., pled no contest to one count of commercial seining in closed waters. He was fined $6,000 with $2,000 suspended, and his catch of 13,660 pounds of salmon was forfeited to the state of Alaska. He also was placed on probation for one year. An investigation by Alaska Wildlife Troopers had revealed that *******, captain of the F/V Coral, had fished the closed waters of Nakwasina Sound.

So nearly 7 tons of illegally taken salmon is not significant when you have a political axe to grind?
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-05-2013 at 08:42.

FAIL. Not the way it works, pal.
    Dang. Oh well, while I see your point I'm still a little let down.

On 7/30/13 ***********, 37, of Warm Springs, Ore., pled no contest to one count of commercial seining in closed waters. He was fined $6,000 with $2,000 suspended, and his catch of 13,660 pounds of salmon was forfeited to the state of Alaska. He also was placed on probation for one year. An investigation by Alaska Wildlife Troopers had revealed that *********, captain of the F/V *****, had fished the closed waters of Nakwasina Sound.

So nearly 7 tons of illegally taken salmon is not significant when you have a political axe to grind?
    ********* should have his hands cut off.
    #Resist

On 7/30/13 ***** *******, 37, of Warm Springs, Ore., pled no contest to one count of commercial seining in closed waters. He was fined $6,000 with $2,000 suspended, and his catch of 13,660 pounds of salmon was forfeited to the state of Alaska. He also was placed on probation for one year. An investigation by Alaska Wildlife Troopers had revealed that *******, captain of the F/V Coral, had fished the closed waters of Nakwasina Sound.

I wasn't there so i don't know any of the story but i do know this from seeing how the fish cops operate. A seiner/gillnetter makes a set in legal waters, fish start plugging into the net, skipper holds the set a bit to long and starts hauling in the gillnet or seine and due to a lot of fish, mechanical problem or any of many problems that can happen he doesn't get his net up and into the boat by the time the fishing period closes, troopers swoop in and write him up for "fishing in closed waters" yeah he was 1 minute late getting his net in the boat that WAS IN LEGAL WATERS till one minute ago. Don't laugh i've seen it happen many times in fact a friend of mine got a ticket for 2 corks hanging in the water and the rest of his net was in the boat !!! I/we would hardly ever see the fish cops till 15 minutes before the fishing period would end then they would be running around looking for the easy write ups.
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-05-2013 at 08:43.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast